||At NaturalMotion, we make games that wow people. We innovate to create experiences that previously were impossible and that would not exist without us. We take pride in making titles that reach a large audience and in creating communities that last.
You are ambitious, intelligent, and intellectually curious. You are a self-disciplined problem-solver, who is respectful and straightforward with all your colleagues. You are trusting and trusted, flexible and emotionally mature, and you thrive on working with people who share these values.
As Art Director, you will have a clear understanding of your leadership style and its impact on others, and be able to use a range of directive and non-directive leadership skills to get the best from your team.
You will balance delivering results with caring for the needs of your team. You will motivate and guide others to excellence, acting as a role model for organisational, technical, and creative skills, whilst showing others ‘what good looks like’.
As Art Director you will also confidently and respectfully challenge the status quo in order to improve things. Assertive when needed, you ensure the requirements of your team and your business are met by stakeholders at all levels. Confident in your decision making, you nevertheless think carefully before you speak and act.
As the Art Director you will ultimately own and deliver the art leadership, visual development, style setting and visual brand development for the project. This work encompasses both the in-game art and the marketing art required to support the game at all stages of development.
You will ensure all in-game art and marketing art is at an industry leading quality level and you can effectively define and articulate all the key art goals and visual rules/reasoning for the project in a way that is clearly understandable to different audiences. You must be flexible, highly motivated and approachable.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Define visual art standards/processes and ensure all creative material is consistently alligned with the game vision and is of exeptional high quality.
- Drives a culture in the art team that values proactively working with all disciplines in the wider team (Design, Code, Product, OS and UA etc.) to deliver the best possible player experience.
- Recognised as an expert leader in the art discipline and able to contribute to studio level strategic planning and art culture development
- Steer and direct a team of artists through all the production gateways.
- Is responsible for art team health including team morale, effective oversight of team training and resourcing needs, and providing direct mentoring and development to 'level-up' artists.
- Establish a collaborative art culture that engages creative talent and maximizes team potential.
- Identify inconsistencies and opportunities for improvement within the creative process
- Lead inter-department communications as they relate to art and assist in supporting all external art requirements to help promote the game pre and post launch.
- Alongside your art peers, you will take an active role in supporting, developing, maintaining, and refining a vision for art direction across the business.
- Working closely with the Product Leads to help them realise the artistic vision for the game.
- Experience of Art directing published AAA titles on console or mobile platforms with a preference to having experience in the action strategy genre
- Excellent Art Direction skills and leadership with the ability to work across varied art styles.
- Able to apply expert level art judgment on form, perspective, colour, style, composition and movement in a way which gives the confidence and authority to own the art quality setting and review for a full game.
- Confident explaining options visually with thumbnail sketches, moodboards and clear, efficient direction of concept artists.
- Expert understanding of how game art/visual design supports gameplay, UX, narrative and brand positioning / marketing. Demonstrable ability to lead the strategic thinking and problem solving in these areas and to effectively guide and mentor a team through the related visual problem solving processes.
- Strong understanding and experience of Games engines and the technical constraints on they place on games art.
- Expertly supervises a game art team maintaining high visibility on individual team members performance while delegating with confidence.
- Highly skilled at providing direction, guidance and mentoring tailored to the skill level of team members across all Art disciplines.
- Adept at handling stress or change on the team in a way that maintains confidence in the art and game vision.
- The ability to confidently present best practices to art teams, critiquing problematic assets and workflows
- The ability to communicate and propagate the artistic vision throughout the studio and delivers concise, upwards feedback to GM, execs and the wider business.
- Experience managing multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines with a strong attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills with an inspirational, lead by example approach
WHAT DO WE GIVE YOU?
- The opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme
- Zynga Stock Unit allocation from day one
- Private healthcare
- 6 months fully paid maternity and 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Flexible working hours
- Free fruit & soft drinks
- 23 days holiday
- Casual dress every day!
- The opportunity to join the childcare voucher and cycle to work schemes we run
- Summer/Christmas parties and Happy Hour in every Studio, every Friday.
- A discretionary annual bonus