||Studio Gobo is looking for an experienced Senior / Lead Technical Artist to join the team on an unannounced console game.
The S/LTA is an expert in their field and holds a wealth of knowledge in dealing with the technical issues around content creation for video games. The S/LTA will produce work that is at the highest level of quality and difficulty. They have a proven track record of resolving the most complex and broad reaching challenges in relationship to content construction, pipeline management and leading edge visuals. This is a ‘forward looking’ role. In addition to current “best practices” and competitive awareness, the S/LTA is expected to understand emerging trends and technologies in video game content and make strategic recommendations as to how they may benefit and/or impact the organization. The S/LTA makes important contributions to key initiatives and projects and participates in setting product and/or functional vision within the studio. Areas the S/LTA is responsible for include visual R&D, performance monitoring, standard setting, authoring content for in-game use, as well as process and pipeline issues.
- Day to day support for the artists on the team, trouble shooting and giving technical support.
- Identifying and / or selecting tools and technologies to enhance the content creation process.
- Competently debug data export problems in Maya and where possible issue a fix or assist in resolving the problem further.
- Collaborate with other technical and aesthetic experts within the company to define clear goals for the toolset, pipeline and construction processes.
- Analyse competitive products and makes recommendations to senior management.
- The Artist spearheads R&D efforts for tools, content and new technologies in relationship to art and Aesthetics.
- Participates in setting vision for content and tools and collaborates with engineers to develop cutting edge tools and technologies.
- Works with the other content producers to ensure proper game performance and optimizations.
- Identifies and test external 3rd party tools that would help maintain our leading edge in content constructions and visuals.
- Identifies and executes on the most difficult content creation problems for the project.
- Contributes to content creation for in game use.
- Ideally a First in Fine Art, Computer Animation, Digital Media Design or relevant degree
- Ideally, 10 or more years of art or animation experience.
- Must have shipped competitive products in the functioning role of TA.
- Extensive knowledge of Maya, comfortable diagnosing problematic scene graphs and instigating solutions to typical day to day issues.
- Strong technical proficiency in understanding proprietary tools and technology.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Must be familiar the majority of modern 3D software packages and Engines (Maya, 3D Studio Max, Motion Builder, zBrush, Unity, Unreal etc.).
- Technically proficient rigging skills.
- Technically and artistically proficient, with the ability to switch quickly between the two roles when the need arises.
- Ability to support both the art and design teams with rapid prototyping and previz to convey loosely defined or new concepts.
- A high standard of hard surface modelling skills, organic modelling a bonus.
- A good understanding of industry standard data compression types, as well as data reduction and optimization techniques.
- Strong understanding of methods for optimizing game art assets for game engines and optimizing pipelines and processes.
- Well versed with typical performance bottlenecks and understand how to profile and communicate to the larger art team.
- Strong understanding of Python and capable of developing simple tools and productivity / workflow enhancements. Advanced scripting and tools development are a bonus.
- Confident in working with intermediate data formats and understand the typical processes involved in data flow from source to engine.
- Strong 2D drawing and digital painting skills is a bonus.
- A solid understanding of modern shader and surfacing technologies such as PBR
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines.
- Diligence with individual and team tasks, schedule and adherence to budget limitations.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
To apply please send your CV and portfolio to: email@example.com - please include job reference #PA001 in the email subject.