||At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, create breath-taking games and do the best work of their career to deliver our vision: "By Enthusiasts, For Enthusiasts”. To help achieve this vision, we are looking to recruit a Technical Director to lead, support and mentor the Lead and Senior Programmers across the Studio.
Reporting into the SVP Development, you will drive and support best practices and efficiency across the studio, help the teams overcome technical issues, and set clear technical guidelines and expectations for our games and services.
Dovetail Games is growing fast, developing our games using cutting edge Unreal 4 Engine technology and delivering these on multiple platforms: PC, PS4 and Xbox One.
- Responsible for the quality of technical deliverables for all studio UE4 titles
- Responsible for shaping and driving the future technical roadmap and requirements for the studio
- Lead, coach and mentor the studio’s Lead Programmers
- Approve technical designs for all high-risk/high-impact systems across the studio’s development teams
- Embody and drives the overall engineering culture within the studio
- Set and enforce professional software development standards and best practices across all engineering teams within the studio
- Is able to work within the development teams code to optimise, fix and establish strong stable code base on PC, Sony and Microsoft platforms
- Oversee the technical aspect of 1st party submission process
- Work with art, content and programmers teams to help optimise and achieve the best performance of the game
- Work closely with project leads to define the titles’ technical requirements, constraints, risks and opportunities - including all technical architecture and production process choices
- Co-operate with Dovetail’s leadership team to define and manage change processes
- Facilitate the sharing of technical knowledge and learnings across the studio’s development teams, looking for opportunities to reuse solutions and efficiency across projects at every opportunity
- Identify and manage technical risks, opportunities and productivity improvements from the integration of 1st and 3rd party tools and middleware including Epic’s Unreal across the studio’s title
- Identify and manage technical dependencies and risks for the studio
- Stay abreast of global technology advancements to identify opportunities to progress Dovetail Games at a qualitative and business level
- Is the external face of Dovetail’s technology – evangelist and champion of the studio’s technologies and its engineering teams
- Helps define - and actively participates in - recruitment strategies to develop a world class engineering team at Dovetail
- Seen as an experienced expert in game systems programming
- Experienced in the video game industry on AAA games
- Advanced experience and knowledge in core engine development, networking, multiplayer, gameplay, and tool development
- Shipped multiple games as Lead Developer or Lead Programmer with relevant experience on XboxOne and PS4 platform
- Experience with modern commercial games engines such as Unreal Engine 4 or Frostbite industry examples
- Able to communicate about technical subjects to other disciplines
- A proven track record in building, managing and growing engineering teams capable of delivering AAA experiences across platforms
- An appreciation of the roles, responsibilities and challenges across the entire development discipline spectrum requisite to delivering AAA entertainment experiences
- Intimate knowledge of technical considerations in delivering live services, both for client and server
- Experience balancing technical, team, product and business requirements with successful outcomes
Why work for Dovetail Games?
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics.
- You will have a direct and significant impact on the future of our games
- You’ll experience an environment where you will be challenged but supported
- We have an industry leading work-life balance
- We are developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- Competitive salary and benefits