The Technical Artist is an expert in their field and holds a wealth of knowledge in dealing with the technical issues around content creation for video games. The TA will produce work that is at the highest level of quality and difficulty and have a proven track record of resolving the most complex and broad reaching challenges in relationship to content construction, pipeline management and cutting-edge visuals.
This is a future-facing role, in addition to current best practices and competitive awareness, the TA is expected to understand emerging trends and technologies in video game content and make strategic recommendations as to how they may benefit and/or impact project development.
The TA makes critical contributions to key initiatives and projects and participates in setting product vision within the studio. Areas the TA is responsible for include visual R&D, performance monitoring, authoring content for in-game use, as well as tool and pipeline development.
- Collaborate with the art team to ensure their efficiency and advice on any technical issues that arise. Help them communicate their technical needs to the development team.
- Creatively solve technical challenges and limitations to maximise cutting edge visuals within hardware limitations.
- Create tools, scripts and pipelines to author visual content and ensure maximum optimisation.
- Collaborate with other technical experts within the company to define clear goals for the toolset, pipeline and construction processes.
- Prototyping, developing, profiling and implementing procedural VFX (particles, post processing, shaders, …).
- Driving the creation of complex procedural and physically based content.
Programming languages: MAXScript, MEL, C#, C++, Python, PowerShell, BashSkills: VFX, material art, lighting, tool development, optimisation, pipeline developmentSoftware/Tools: Photoshop, Houdini, Unreal Engine, Unity, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Maya, 3DS Max, Perforce
- Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by AXA PPP Private Healthcare.
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
- Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Childcare Voucher Scheme – Tax efficient childcare voucher scheme operated through KiddiVouchers.
- Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
- Free 30 days bus pass – Enjoy a free 30 days bus pass to all new joiners across the Brighton & Hove bus service.
- Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Personal Trainer Sessions – Free gym sessions with our own Electric Square personal trainer at Alive Gym.
- Health and Wellbeing Allowance - £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities.
- Fast Growing Studio – Plenty of room for career advancement
- Free locally roasted Coffee by Pharmacie, the best in Town & Speciality Teas
- Electric Square Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections. Keeping those bellies full.
- Kitchen & Equipment – Free use of our Kitchen which includes toastie makers, Nutri-bullets, amazing coffee machine and microwaves – all great for knocking up some tasty lunchtime treats!
- Fresh Home Cooked Electric Square Monthly Friday Lunch – Monthly Friday lunches bought to us by the amazing Ellie from Forgotten Cuts – all local and organic, meat and vegan recipes. A wonderful way to catch up with everyone on a Friday over a beer or a bottle of Kombucha!
- Fresh Fruit & Healthy Snacks – Provided every day to keep you healthy.
- Pastries, Cakes & Doughnuts – For the odd naughty pleasure, we are always pleased to see any homemade treats bought in too.
- Soft Drinks Fridge – A large range of free chilled soft drinks, from Kombucha, to organic fizzy soft drinks and filtered water on tap.
- Electric Square Beer & Wine Fridge – Free craft beers, cider, wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console!
- Free awesome T-shirts – Amazingly designed Electric Square T-shirts available, with a new colour range coming out each season. Be a trend setter!
- Two studios in the heart of Brighton– Electric Square South is right next to the Royal Pavilion in an imposing 1933 building originally called Electric House, Electric Square North is in a contemporary space on the other side of the Royal Pavilion.
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days – Don’t leave Fido at home alone. Bring him into the studio to meet the rest of the team. Electric Square is a dog friendly employer!
- Exhibitions/ Days out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together.