Games Jobs - Production - Cambridge
|Job Title||Character Artist|
|Job Description||Home to the iconic massive multiplayer online role-playing game RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, we’re a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do.
We’ve welcomed over 250 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve.
From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest.
Together with our players, we’re a united Jagex tribe. Together we’re building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere.
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
This is a fantastic opportunity for a character artist looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input, team work and personal development. The successful applicant will join an experienced team of artists; working on our flagship title RuneScape.
Working within our talented art team, you will:
- Create, develop and refine high quality 3D character assets ranging across creatures, humans and weapons
- Work with a variety of industry standard tools including Zbrush, Maya, 3D coat and Marmoset Tool bag 3 to produce assets
- Work closely with Concept Artists and Animators to ensure models are designed and optimized to meet the style for PC and Mobile platforms
- Work closely with Content Developers to ensure assets are correctly implemented in the game engine
- Work with Tools Developers to troubleshoot and improve existing in-house tools
- Provide feedback to all character artists in the team in group reviews and more junior members of the team in day to day production
- Ensure game ready assets conform to the house style and are maintained through all projects within your own and colleagues work, via feedback
WHAT WE NEED
- An excellent understanding of human anatomy, shape and form language
- An excellent level of knowledge using Zbrush, Maya, 3D coat and Photoshop
- An excellent understanding of low poly modelling, UV mapping and hand painted textures
- A positive communicator with the ability to work with staff from all disciplines
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change when requested
- To take direction and work with the Lead Character Artist and Art director to maintain game style and quality
- To be proactive and take responsibility for keeping assets optimised, organised and functioning in-game as required
- To maintain a good level of communication with all relevant team members throughout asset production and implementation
EVEN BETTER IF
- Traditional 2D art skills
- Degree in computer games art or relevent course
- Experience with PBR workflows
- Experience in current game engine Character pipelines. UE4. Unity etc
We can only consider applicants who include evidence of their work in the form of a portfolio/blog.
In your portfolio/blog we expect to see:
- Sculpting examples, preferably showing an example of human anatomy and a more stylized example
- Game ready meshes with wire frame examples
- Texture sheet examples including albedo/diffuse map and normal map if available
WHAT WE OFFER
If you join us you can expect a competitive salary and great benefits like fully paid-for gym membership, bonus entitlement, private health care, flexible working, cycle repair, and fresh fruit delivered to your team every day. We also have GREAT coffee machines, an onsite canteen, pub, and an in-studio cinema! Expect regular team events as well as EPIC company-wide parties to celebrate our successes.
Does this sound like you? We'd love to hear from you! Get in touch.
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
|Location||220 Science Park, Cambridge|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 2018-1572.|
|Apply for this job|