Lead Tools Engineer
Games Jobs - Programming - Cambridge
|Job Title||Lead Tools Engineer|
|Job Description||Important note: To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview. Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect. So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As Lead Tools Engineer, you will lead a team designing, implementing and testing core Development Tool features for online games. You know that working collaboratively with your internal clients is critical to defining and developing the best tools to bridge development domains. You will be excited to make RuneScape and Old School RuneScape’s systems better. Your game tools development experience combined with your innate desire to make life easier for development teams will have a huge impact on the games and the player experience.
• Define and regulate development practices
• Lead discussions with team members to understand the technical needs and challenges of content developers to create best solutions
• Lead, design, develop, and implement core Development Tool features for RuneScape and Old School RuneScape across modeling, animation, map editing, audio, interface, and scripting domains
• Create windows/desktop and pipeline tools that enable your teammates to work more creatively and productively
• Approach each department need with a solutions approach to tool creation
• Develop the overall tools development strategy and collaborate with teams to synthesise ideas for progression
• Lead and expand the tools team, becoming a key figure across the organisation and defining approach for future tools development
• A great leader: you have experience leading and managing developers and steering a team to success.
• Demonstrated senior level experience working on heavily content driven games with a focus and expertise on tools development
• Previous experience having ownership of key tools or software development disciplines for a large online game project. Responsible for working directly with internal or external clients to fully understand and define requirements
• Proficiency with Java, C# and or C/C++
• A good understanding of UX in tools and the benefits of a scientific approach in determining solutions for tools users
• Ideally some experience in one or more of:
• UI frameworks such as WPF
• Rendering APIs such as OpenGL or DirectX
• Project management including use of Atlassian tools
• Implementation and ownership of Agile processes on a team
• Fluent in communicating and innovating solutions to complex problems in a legacy technology stack you enjoy optimising for performance
• Knowledgeable and appreciative of traditional and modern development practices, with experience evaluating and recommending custom versus off-the shelf solutions
• A great communicator, you enjoy collaborating with and supporting domain experts to create tools that solve fundamental technical challenges
• You will be curious to explore and understand how existing processes may serve the game and/or other departments and be driven to find ways of automating and enhancing their functionality and reliability
• An approachable and supportive personality, with an enthusiasm for reaching out regularly to your tools users
• Big picture thinker – the existing technologies you will be working with are deeply tied into the workflow of other departments on the game. You will naturally collaborate with other teams to balance the needs of the games
• Strong influencing skills – you will bring a wealth of knowledge and new perspectives to this role and so you will need to be able to help others understand the benefits and possible challenges that come with implementing the solutions you present
• Confident working semi-independently, proactively identifying and addressing issues while anticipating the needs of stakeholders
• Driven to build strong working relationships with team members across disciplines and the company
|Salary||Based on experience|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 9646fb30-33cd-4dba-b1b8-0f9717a3dab8.|
|Apply for this job|