Games Jobs - QA / Localisation - Cambridge
|Job Title||QA Engineer|
|Job Category||QA / Localisation|
|Job Description||Company Overview:
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex Ltd, the UK's largest developer and publisher of online games, is looking for a talented QA Engineer to join our Growth and Product Services team. You will have in-depth QA, technical and project expertise, with full ownership of quality across designated game components. Responsible for going deeper than user acceptance testing, a QA Engineer can conduct integration, component and system testing. The QA Engineer is expected to have the ability to parse a codebase for QA information, identity code paths and data being used, and understand the relationship between client and server.
Reports to the QA Manager.
• Execute functional tests in a grey box environment, developing an understanding of game code and logic to push QA further into the development cycle. Operates in the same environment as developers.
• Proactively test owned areas, entering defects which fail system or component criteria. This will include taking on features which are more challenging leading to higher risk.
• Influence meaningful QA metrics that enable the QA Manager to make decisions that improve product quality. Help answer the questions of what, when and how.
• Drives the test plan review process throughout the team using our in-house test case management tool. Sets up meetings between peers and development. Ensures that test plans are signed off before release.
• Represents QA in planning, weekly meetings, daily scrums and other team practices.
• Solve complex problems in effective, efficient and resourceful ways. Ability to break problems down, for example, can construct system flow charts that explain how components fit together.
• Promote cross-discipline knowledge sharing, e.g. work with server engineers on what QA need to effectively perform network QA. Can give advice to developers so their work is easier to test.
• Ensures a positive, professional and collaborative team environment is maintained.
• Works with outsourcing QA teams to achieve the best possible result, including creating documentation,mentoring where appropriate and fielding questions.
• Assist with efforts to automate test runs such as tweaking existing scripts to use new variables. Is critical in pinpointing areas of the game that could be open to automation due to their deeper system understanding.
• Review stream/ branch merges and tests around conflicts. Has the technical skill to perform comparison checks against large data sets to pull out changes.
• Has a great understanding of how games are built, the different components and disciplines that come together and how they relate. Can test different pipelines e.g. MTX, Art, Audio, Client.
• Familiarity with source control, such as GIT or Perforce.
• Has experience in using Continuous Integration systems and their role in the development cycle.
• Has worked within development environments such as Xcode, Visual Studio, Android SDK, Unity etc.
• Understanding of how software architecture influences the amount of testing required, including optimizing tests that utilize the same code paths. Ability to pair test features.
• Is familiar with testing methodologies such as boundary value analysis, risked-based testing, equivalence partitioning.
• Adept at costing, time estimation, risk analysis, and root cause analysis.
• Experience leveraging debugging tools to enhance your reports.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills backed up with a proactive approach to knowledge sharing and best practice.
• Worked within LIVE products with ongoing updates.
• Awareness of mobile games market on iOS and Android.
• Expert understanding of software QA and games development practices and terminology (ideally in relation to mobile games or live-supported games).
• You have experience with JIRA.
· You have previous test experience on MMO’s, sandbox or ARPGs.• You have a computing or games related degree.
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Job Category||QA / Localisation|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 6146bfdb-e395-469b-82e1-eb29a218c34a.|
|Apply for this job|