Senior Game Designer
Games Jobs - Game Design - Cambridge
|Job Title||Senior Game Designer|
|Job Category||Games Designer|
|Job Description||Important note: To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview. Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect. So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Job Purpose: A senior game designer is responsible for the design and implementation of significant content and systems. It is expected that they will take high-level briefs and translate them into clear, actionable designs that support the product pillars, respect product scope, and can be easily maintained in a live environment. Senior designers are proactive about gathering feedback and improving their designs. They foster a culture of creative collaboration by participating in playtests and delivering feedback to others in a clear, thoughtful, respectful manner. Seniors can identify problems with the game early, formulate solutions, and effectively manage that information upwards to leadership. They are ready and willing to assign lead designers or the creative director as and when required. Senior designers are team players, and they form strong relationships across disciplines. They will seek out insight, support, and buy-in from artists and engineers by involving them early in the creative process. They can effectively evangelize for their vision and communicate the goals and constraints to others. At a senior level, it is important to demonstrate an all-round ability to solve problems reliably and autonomously with great organizational, scheduling and mentorship skills. They must show an ability to look more broadly at product development and strategize accordingly within their discipline.Overall, seniors are expected to take on a higher level of responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of complex tasks on their project.
• Produce exemplar designs that support the creative vision and product pillars
• Pitch, protype and iterate design systems
• Implement robust, bug-free content that can be maintained in a live environment
• Set and maintain standards of quality
• Document best practices and guidance
• Strive for ways to improve process, identify, and remove production issues early
• Collaborate with all disciplines to ensure optimal path, balancing and best design solutions
• Be part of the team
• Strive to raise the knowledge level of game design within the team
• Provide useful, thoughtful, and respectful peer feedback
• Support, guide, and mentor others more junior
• Passion for game design and anything design related
• Player-centric design thinking
• Experience of multiple end-to-end game development cycles on high end PC or console titles
• Hands on professional game engine experience (Unity, Unreal etc)
• Fully understands and can articulate design fundamentals
• Working knowledge of trends in the competitive landscape
• Problem solver
• Highly organized and process driven
• Unreal 4 knowledge and experience
• *BONUS* MMO experience
• *BONUS* Knowledge of DCC software (Blender, Maya, etc)
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Job Category||Game Design|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference a38aa8ec-15ea-499a-9f11-b804d9ab0327.|
|Apply for this job|