Java Game Developer
Games Jobs - Programming - Cambridge
|Job Title||Java Game Developer|
|Job Description||Company Overview:
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
The successful candidate will be working with our java code libraries, scripting languages and game engine technologies. You will have key responsibilities for the server technologies powering RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, with the ability to affect their future development. Candidates must have a deep and comprehensive understanding of programming, and ideally past experience working on bespoke client/server game engines. A particular focus on Java is necessary, although abilities and awareness of other languages and technologies (including C++) would be a significant positive.
• Programming using Java to service assigned and scheduled requests for new enhanced technology in a flexible and fast-paced environment
• Developing client server architecture, having key ownership of the server technology powering RuneScape
• Researching, innovating and developing new game engine technology
• Working to keep our industry-leading technology ahead of the competition
• Being constantly proactive in finding ways to make our game technology faster, slimmer and more effective
• Extremely proficient with Java
• Server / Backend experience and solving complex problems
• Experience working in a high-load environment
• A passion for innovating solutions and solving problems in a unique technology stack
• Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
• Game industry experience or a related consumer facing environment
• Knowledge of other platforms including, but not limited to, Mac OS, Linux, iOS and Android
• Familiarity with build and deployment systems such as Maven and Ansible, and web frameworks such as Spring
• Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Bash, Perl or similar
• An understanding and appreciation of test-driven development and experience writing unit-tests
• A passion for gaming and RuneScape
|Salary||Based on experience|
|More||View other Jagex Games Studio jobs|
|Recruiter||This job is advertised on behalf of Jagex Games Studio using their internal reference 3b3fe59d-af6d-4f56-a33c-f9361687173a.|
|Apply for this job|