We are seeking an Associate Design Director join our talented team on our Total War franchise at our studio based in Horsham, West Sussex.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with the Project Game Director to help steer the design and development of a Total War title, as well as mentoring and directing the design team on the project.
As Associate Design Director on the project, you will work closely with the Game Director to help realise and shape the game vision. This will involve working closely with the design team and collaborating with other leads on the project to deliver an engaging and compelling set of features and gameplay.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be:
- Collaborate with the Game Director to maintain the overall game direction and design and set quality standards
- Assume responsibility for the project design effort overall, and working with a Lead Design online managing, leadership and mentoring of the game design team
- Help plan short and long-term development milestones with the other project leads and help ensure the design goals for the project and deliverable within budget and to the quality level required
- Drive collaboration across disciplines and ensure goals are clearly communicated to ensure feature quality
- Champion the project and team effort within the team and studio
- Being an advocate for the player, a champion of the plater experience capable of defining and helping to design a meaningful player journey
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Proven game design skills, capable of defining and building an ideal player experience through effective feature, system, and content design
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with a demonstrated ability to guide and inspire others with a view to delivering quality gameplay in good time
- A confident and inclusive manager with a consensus-building leadership style, capable of taking responsibility for the overall design effort whilst championing the individual work of the design team
- Deep knowledge of and interest in a wide variety of games, of current industry trends and ever-evolving player wants and needs
- The ability to visualise and comprehend the overarching project direction, to help weave multiple design threads into a coherent and compelling gameplay experience
- Excellent problem solving, conceptual, and analytical skills
- Experience as a senior or lead designer responsible for design on and delivering of a high-quality, well-received game
- Experience designing high-quality strategy game features, systems, and content
- An interest in history and a desire to adapt elements of it into immersive and engaging gameplay
- Knowledge of Chinese history and culture
Note: Applications for this role must include a portfolio (or link to a portfolio). Applications that do not have this information will not be considered.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
We house many talented people, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.