We have an exciting opportunity for a gameplay programmer with networking experience to join the growing team of programmers on our pillar title. This role is onsite in our studio in Southern France on the French Riviera or is offer remote working to CEST time zones.
As one of the primary Network Programmers you will be responsible for the architecture and implementation of the multiplayer code. Collaboration will be key, both with other gameplay programmers to provide facilities and APIs for them to implement key game features, as well as making sure the goals and requirements set by design are met.
Experience working on previous online multiplayer games will be vital to success in this role as being able to pre-empt and debug real-world networking issues is a top priority for the project.
What will you do?
- Utilise our in-house Cobra Engine technology to develop a cross-platform multiplayer solution
- Integrate this solution with the existing deterministic simulation framework to support the requirements of a multiplayer game
- Collaborate with our online team to define the matchmaking, dedicated server and platform APIs
- Ensure the gameplay experience is as smooth as possible for different network conditions
- Provide detailed statistics and debugging facilities to our gameplay teams to help analyse our multiplayer game
- Passionate about multiplayer games and network architecture
- Able to communicate well with other stakeholders, including the online team and non-technical team members such as production and design
- Good at managing your time and prioritising tasks appropriately
What skills do you need?
- Strong understanding of C/C++ and good software engineering knowledge
- Shipped previous titles with online multiplayer components
- Experience working with console development
- 3+ years’ experience in a similar role in games
- Knowledge of how cross-platform requirements may influence network implementation
- Experience of profiling and optimisation of network traffic
- Familiarity with Deterministic Simulation based approaches
- Understanding TCP/IP, UDP, NAT
- An understanding of the network approaches of games in similar genres (MOBAs, RTS games, etc.)
- Engine experience e.g. Unreal, CryEngine, C++ based inhouse engine
- Excellent English
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. This role can be onsite in France or fully remote.
To apply pls forward your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 2257.
Big Planet is an equal opps recruitment agency and is GDPR compliant.