A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Job Purpose: This is a fantastic opportunity for a 3D Character Artist looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input, teamwork, personal learning, and development. The successful applicant will join an experienced team of artists and game developers, working on RuneScape. In this role you would be responsible for creating a wide variety of character assets to fit into RuneScape’s fantastical medieval world and style. Collaboration with multi-disciplined teams, including concept artists, animators, designers, and other professionals from every field of the development to provide high quality artwork appealing to our players. You would have the opportunity contribute to the growth of the art team, proactively offering up and seeking feedback for artwork, supporting artists and developers around you. You are someone who thrives on the challenges of producing game ready assets in our house style and deliver in a timely manner maintaining our release cadence.Key Duties:
- Collaboration with Leads and Senior Artists to ensure delivery consistently in line with best practices
- Delivery of game ready assets on consistently high quality in line with Art Direction
- An active member of the graphics team looking to push quality and help the character team with their duties
- Able to give, take, implement, and learn from feedback in a timely fashion
- Planning, scheduling, and building structure to their daily and weekly tasks to align with the project schedules
- Adhere to production guides and established working conventions
- Support and promote good team and studio morale in an open, safe, and creative environment
- Working knowledge of ZBrush, Substance Painter, Maya, and Photoshop
- Portfolio work demonstrating stylised 3D character artwork
- Portfolio containing examples of, and displaying good understanding of human and creature anatomy
- Competency in art fundamentals such as light, shape, color, form, silhouette, materials
- Portfolio should include at least one game ready asset, showing efficient modelling and sculpting skills, good mesh flow, efficient UVs, good texture work.
- Able to time manage and prioritise their own work schedule
- Able to deliver to quality standards with light supervision of seniors / lead
- Have worked on at least one released title.
- Ability to translate and evaluate art direction into final asset
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely to team, peers, and management
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- A team player with good social skills
- Passionate about games with knowledge and understanding of game development processes
- Degree in game art/traditional art or equivalent
- Traditional art skills
- Experience of being or working with contractors and art vendors
- Technical skills relating to animation (rigging, skinning), shaders, game engines
- Animation skills
We can only consider applicants who include evidence of their skills/work in form of portfolios. Can be attached in form of PDFs but preferably viewable online such as personal websites, or with the use of sites like ArtStation, Sketchfab, Marmoset, blogs, or any other online album / portfolio setups.Company Benefits:
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.