Job Overview:As a member of the Old School content development team, you will design, create and implement new gameplay features or content of various types such as new world map areas, quests, PvP content, minigames, skills or gameplay improvements. You must consider and balance narrative, gameplay, end user experience and technical implementation to deliver beautifully crafted and engaging experiences for our amazing community of players.Game Design
- You will be responsible for designing new, engaging game content suitable for Old School RuneScape. You will often take the lead on design for mid-sized full projects, delivering a design that fits the project and unites the team behind it.
- You will be creating your game content using the in-house language, RuneScript. You are capable of handling code for most projects, requiring assistance for only projects of technical complexity. You are expected to create safe, efficient, reusable and maintainable script for your projects, utilising the knowledge of the wider development team to assist and your wide knowledge of the Old School codebase.
- Whilst you will always have the assistance of a producer and more senior developers, you will play a role in scoping your work and clearly detailing requirements for dependencies on other disciplines, including graphics, QA and audio.
- Old School has a huge amount of content and incredibly deep systems. You will be expected to continuously learn more about the game, and utilise the knowledge of the wider team to help inform your design and development decisions.
- You will spend time engaging with the community via social media and livestreams in order to gain important insights and feedback on your own content, answer their questions where possible and build your own relationship with them. You will have the assistance of our Community Management team for this. This is important to Old School RuneScape’s player-driven focus.
- Collaboration is extremely important among Jagex standards and you will be expected to work effectively both within a team and the wider company.
- Games development is a fast-paced industry and we’re constantly improving our tools, engine and workflow. Your ability to adapt to an evolving environment will be crucial to your success in this role.
- You’re a professional with a positive outlook and strong work ethic who’s determined to get the job done.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.