This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, technically minded and systems focused individual to join the audio department at Creative Assembly. You will work across our multi-award winning Total War franchise at our game development studio in Horsham, based in the heart of Sussex, England.
The role of Dialogue Sound Designer supports the cross project needs of the franchise, so offers an excellent opportunity to progress career wise. Reporting to the Project Dialogue Lead, this position will work to implement and optimise dialogue and voice-based content. The role will also be integral to building the dialogue system, tools design and character voice design across our current and future projects.
Working alongside other audio and design team members, the Dialogue Sound Designer will have a solid grasp of the technicalities of wider game audio and will have an active role in ensuring we deliver a stellar audio experience for Total War titles.
All applications must submit a showreel to be considered.
As Dialogue Sound Designer on the team, you will primarily collaborate with Project Dialogue Lead and other stakeholders to identify project technical dialogue system/tools needs for assigned projects.
On a day to day basis, you will:
- Implement dialogue, voice over and vocalisations content for in-game characters,using middleware and other commercial or proprietary software.
- Carry out voice design work on certain characters, mixing dialogue in-game using Wwise or other 3rd party tools and to commercial standards for in-game and cut-scene linear usage.
- Author and implement group vocal-based content such as crowds, walla and other incidentals.
- Tag animations with recorded vocalisation assets.
- Optimise content and systems for efficient performance.
- Check and ensure implementations and systems are free of bugs and fit for purpose.
- Ensure project dialogue structures, data setups, file names and integrity conform to agreed standards.
- Keep abreast of current audio technologies, industry trends and assess their viability in relation dialogue systems to TW titles.
- Ensure all technical areas, systems and tools undergo Quality Assurance processes and implement remedies as and where needed.
- Support dialogue discipline-based initiatives, responding to feedback and development processes.
In this role, you will also, research and develop technical initiatives for creating compelling dialogue experiences in accordance with project aesthetics.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Games studio experience is a must, ideally on AAA titles
- Professional experience with Wwise audio middleware, implementing voice-based content, setting up data structures, audio routings and profiling etc.
- Experience with technical voice systems design and game logic
- Methodical approach to work with a view to suggesting and implementing efficient and optimised ways of working
- Enjoys problem solving and is a fast learner with new software and workflows
- Confident communicator, both verbally and written, with great organisational skills
- Comfortable reviewing technical work and presenting detailed and constructive feedback
- Passionate about video games and dialogue
- Experience designing complex audio delivery systems, structures, and logic in games
- Advanced editorial experience with Wavelab, Protools
- Scripting or programming experience a plus
- Knowledge and familiarity of Total War brand would be a bonus
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
We house many talented people, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.