Education Manager & Lecturer in Visual Arts (full-time)
Would you like to play a key role in shaping the future direction of the Academy for Games & Media (AGM) at Breda University of Applied Sciences (BUas)? Then apply and become our education manager & lecturer in Visual Arts. We work together with industry partners and have alumni in leading game studios. You will be working near the city centre of Breda, on a green, sustainable and high-tech campus.
About the job
As one out of three education managers, you will be jointly responsible for managing the bachelor program in Creative Media & Game Technologies and the master’s programme in Game Technology. Each of you is responsible for and represents one of the educational programmes. Your tasks include the quality of education, curriculum, vision and strategy, industry relationships, finances and HRM. No working day will be the same, you’re always on the get-go, meeting people inside and outside BUas, working out policy notes and other writings, and trying to think ahead in order to manage your programme. Together you decide which of you will be partaking in the bi-weekly management team meetings of AGM. You will keep your co-education managers and the AGM director informed about important matters and on the state of affairs within your programme.
Being a lecturer in addition to your managerial tasks is important to stay connected with education. Approximately half of your working time will be devoted to developing and delivering course materials that focus on the technical knowledge and skills that are needed to create finished interactive digital entertainment products. You will also give lectures and workshops to students on both a bachelor's and/or master's level. In addition, you will be coaching students in the Project-Lab (in-house game development studio), supervise placements and graduation projects.
What do we ask of you?
You have a broad and proven track record in Visual Arts within the industry and/or education. With regard to your expertise, you have a clear vision on suitable teaching approaches, how they fit our curriculum, and how this relates to the other educational programmes. You are able to coordinate, delegate, and show natural leadership skills. You can be described as an inspirational leader with a sense of reality and a supportive attitude. In addition, you are able to negotiate and able to make informed decisions that best fit the programme. You highly value good communication and value transparency. In addition:
- You have thorough understanding of and proven recent experience with visual development, animation and/ or real-time art pipeline;
- You have hands-on experience with tools like Unreal, Unity or proprietary game development tools;
- You have experience working on commercial game development projects with a focus on Visual Arts.
- You have teaching experience or are willing to take didactical training. We will also offer the opportunity of obtaining a master’s degree;
- You will be working in an international and intercultural setting. Therefore, having excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is a necessity.
What do we offer?
- The salary depends on work experience and development within the position, and amounts to a monthly minimum of € 3.731,81and a monthly maximum of € 5.831,60 (gross amounts based on full-time employment);
- The work activities and grading of this position will be based on your work experience and knowledge, and will be valued between level 11 or 12 of the CAO HBO (collective labour agreement);
- You will be appointed to this position for one year. Are both parties satisfied after one year? Then we will extend your appointment;
- Your commuting expenses will be fully reimbursed when you travel by public transport;
- You will receive compensation for health insurance;
- You will also be awarded professional development hours every year and almost eleven weeks of holiday entitlements in a full-time position;
- It is a bonus that you will be working at our modern, sustainable and high-tech campus;
- Moving from abroad to Breda in the Netherlands? We provide support and financial reimbursements in the case of relocation and settling-in in the Netherlands. Dutch tax authorities may offer tax reduction to applicants from abroad (which makes tax rates comparable to the UK and US).
Breda University of Applied Sciences is an independent and international higher education institute, specialising in the disciplines of Built Environment, Data Science & AI, Facility, Games, Hotel, Leisure & Events, Logistics, Media, Tourism.
Breda University of Applied Sciences (hereinafter referred to as BUas) is committed to making a contribution to our globalising society by training young people to become responsible professionals – in cooperation with the international industries. Furthermore, BUas aims to create a stimulating workplace for both students and staff, to enable them to integrate knowledge and skills, to develop their talents to the fullest and apply these to society in a professional and responsible manner.
The Academy for Games & Media offers bachelor’s and master’s programmes in Creative Media & Game Technology (CMGT) and Creative Business (CB).
The CMGT programme is a programme teaching all aspects of game development. The CB programme is a management study programme with focus on how media concepts work, what the media trends are and how to make your own media products. The academy also offers a Master in Media Innovation as well as a Master in Game Technology.
Our programmes are rated highly in both national and international league tables (National Student Survey, Elsevier and Princeton ranking) because of their professional orientation as well as the quality and experience of our staff. The staff of the academy are recruited from all over the world (e.g. USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Italy, Belgium, and the Netherlands) and all courses are taught in English.
The application process
Please send us your application before 22 January 2022. Do you have any questions? Feel free to contact Ard Bonewald via email@example.com with questions about the job itself, or with firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the application process. Due to the Christmas holidays, it may take longer before you receive a response. You will receive a reply to your application two weeks after the closing date at the latest.
Please apply via the online application form (see link on this page). If you already have an account on our website, you can log in and apply for this position directly. The information in your profile will be used for your application which will save you time filing it. Among candidates with equal qualifications and experience, preference will be given to the internal candidate.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.