Media Molecule is a video game development studio based in Guildford in the UK, and a proud member of the PlayStation Worldwide Studios. We are the creators of the multi-award winning games LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Tearaway, Tearaway Unfolded and we're currently building the next generation of Play, Create and Share for PlayStation 4: Dreams.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Media Molecule as we look to further push the creative boundaries of gaming and we are passionate about making games with creative gameplay. Our studio is fast paced, dynamic, collaborative and is undergoing a period of significant growth and evolution!
Location: Our studio in Guildford.
Role: As an Engineering Manager for our pioneering and expanding game studio, you will be responsible for ensuring that our engineering teams are set up most effectively to successfully deliver on our product objectives. Working alongside Production leadership you will help to define best-in-class professional practices by setting organisational and delivery standards across the studio.
You are an excellent people manager with proven experience as an accomplished engineer on live games across multiple platforms. You have experienced and understand both the technical and organisational challenges involved in scaling technology solutions and teams for a game studio undergoing expansion.
What you’ll be doing:
- Ensure suitable management and professional support for our engineers to consistently strive for higher levels of excellence.
- Define organisational and career progression strategies for engineering staff (e.g. progression frameworks, role expectations, talent projections).
- Work with technical leadership roles to understand organisational pain points and identify strategies for addressing them.
- Communicate technical matters to internal and external stakeholders to align on and support decisions.
- Act as hiring manager for engineering talent.
- Line/matrix-manage engineers and engineering leads.
- Work closely with HR to deliver effective performance reviews across the engineering team.
- Partner with colleagues in production craft to help remove impediments for technical delivery and identify iterative improvements to workflow.
- You will collaborate and advise on project planning, staffing plans, and workflows that are needed to deliver the product and guide transformational change in the studio.
- Identify and help manage partnering opportunities for development efforts, both internally and externally.
- You have held leadership positions within software engineering.
- You demonstrate excellent management and leadership skills.
- You have experience managing senior engineering staff.
- You are highly organised and can juggle multiple priorities and deliverables.
- You show good judgment when proposing and reaching conclusions; you consistently offer positive and constructive feedback.
- You have experience working with teams delivering ‘live’ software services.
- You have a proven track record managing and hiring within a technical organisation, having significant insight into successful talent acquisition/retention initiatives.
- You have experience defining and delivering organisational strategies across multiple teams working on multiple projects; you possess the skills needed to be involved in transformative change.
- You have a proven ability to coordinate and deliver projects with multiple stakeholders and craft specialisms at various levels of an organisation.
- You have a broad working knowledge of software development production practices, emerging technologies, and related industry trends.
- Experience of delivering software projects with multiple engineering teams.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience, ideally in games development.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.