Role Overview – UI/UX Artist – Sonic Mobile (Experienced or Senior)
We are looking for an Experienced or Senior UI/UX artist to join our Sonic Mobile projects. You will be a key part of the team that is enhancing and expanding our current and future mobile games with a world-renowned IP and 100s of millions of downloads – Sonic Forces Running Battle, Sonic Dash and Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom.
In an industry that thrives on its user interactions, candidates will be expected to help create high fidelity and visually stunning game interfaces to deliver the best player experience possible.
The ideal candidate is someone who can drive, understand, and enjoy the whole design process of a game – from initial UX design, visual concepting, creating final assets, and implementing them in Unity. Not everyone may have the breadth of experience, so we’d be happy to provide support to allow you to expand your skills beyond UI art.
- Work closely with the development team to wireframe, concept, experiment and develop a wide variety of high-quality features and game UI assets, everything from frontend menus, in game HUD, logos and icons.
- Help develop the UX for our game’s new features – from initial design, wireframes to functional prototypes to identify & resolve usability issue.
- Implement UI features and art in Unity ensuring the UI is as optimal as possible by balancing artistic and gameplay goals within the technical constraints.
- Support the lead artist and producer with planning, work estimates and scheduling.
- Care about our games and players and how we can make a better experience for them.
- Understand and feedback on the UI workflows and processes, identify opportunities for pipeline and tool improvements.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Excellent knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator as your core tools.
- Effective communication skills and an ability to clearly articulate reasoning behind design decisions.
- Excellent visual and graphic design skills in layout, typography, proportion, colour and iconography.
- A solid understanding of UX practices and how they apply to game design.
- Knowledge and experience of Unity and it’s UI systems. and able to implement UI in Unity (or transferrable skills from another game engine).
- Knowledge of technical constraints and performance optimisation.
- Highly motivated and passionate about video games with a good understanding of the game development production processes.
- A team player with ability to take and give constructive feedback.
A portfolio demonstrating all aspects of your skill is required
- You have worked on released game titles as UI artist.
- Development experience on a wide variety of mobile platforms and varying screen sizes.
- Experience using support tools like After Effects, XD and Figma
- Experience in creating UI animations and particle effects.
- Knowledge of 3D packages for developing rendered icons and visuals.
- A passion and genuine interest in stylised and illustrative mobile game art.
Why work at HARDlight?
- You'll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme
- We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making HARDlight the best it can be
- For gaming buffs, we offer free SEGA games on Steam and a home technology scheme, or if you’re more of a foodie, you can take advantage of fresh fruit, cereal & toast every day
- Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership and ride to work scheme. You can find your zen with weekly yoga classes as well as in-house massage therapy
- We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to ensure that you have a life outside of the office
- The opportunity to be a large part of a small team, developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue
- Based in the ‘Heart of England' in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London & Birmingham
- We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
The role will initially be remote, as we have not returned to the office yet. The expectation is that when we do return to the office, we will be taking a hybrid working approach and you will be expected to work 3 days in the office with the option of 2 days out of the office.