A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We are looking for an engineer to join the Game Technologies team, working on the tech that forms the core of RuneScape and Old School RuneScape. RuneScape and Old School RuneScape use a client/server architecture, built using C++ and Java, with a custom scripting language that provides game engine features to the titles’ content developers. The Game Systems Engineer maintains, modifies and adds engine features and the corresponding scripting language interfaces.
For this role, the engineer will be primarily responsible for maintaining and updating the mobile libraries that are used on both titles on Android and iOS platforms. This includes integration into external systems like Firebase and CRM solutions such as Braze or Iterable. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a world-renowned online games company, to work on a unique and large-scale project and face some of the most complex and interesting challenges in online gaming.
Key Duties Include:
- Programming in C++ 11/14, Java and Objective-C
- Working on a variety of game systems, from UI to CRM, network to rendering.
- Enhancing and maintaining our existing game engine technology
- Researching, innovating and developing new game engine technology
- Proactively developing solutions to improve both how we work and how our games operate
- Someone comfortable working in C++, Java and Objective-C
- Experience working on a mobile game or application and using Android and iOS development tools.
- Experience working on a variety of game systems and integrations into 3rd party technologies.
- Demonstratable experience with both graphical and non-graphical game engine systems
- Ability to work well in a team and with others, good communication skills are essential!
- A passion for innovating solutions and solving problems in a unique technology stack.
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
- Experience integrating 3rd party online services or CRM systems such as Iterable or Braze.
- Experience working with a complex bespoke tech stack.
- Worked on at least one launched title and/or one AAA title.
- Experience of working on networked and MMO games and/or client/server applications.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, cmake/make and bash
- Some experience with either OpenGL (preferred) or DirectX
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.