A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We are looking for a Game Tools Engineer to join the RuneScape team, working on the development and on-going enhancement of the RuneScape & Old School RuneScape content development tools, pipeline and associated systems, ensuring we continue to effectively support the internal tools users and provide value to our players/customers. This is a great opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a world-renowned online games company, working on a unique, large-scale, project solving some of the most complex and interesting challenges in online gaming.How you can contribute:
- Help design, implement and test of core Development Tool features.
- Gather and help analyse requirements from internal customers - artists, graphic designers, audio engineers and content developers.
- Work closely with the Tools team lead and other engineers to plan and execute the Tools Development Roadmap.
- Anticipate, identify/articulate problem areas and develop preventative solutions.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the existing systems and be able to articulate and share that understanding with peers and managers.
- Work with project management tools and processes to capture and manage development projects, making use of tools such as Confluence and Jira to provide reliable estimates and assessments of progress.
- Adhere to and maintain high software development standards.
- Troubleshoot and resolve daily tools development issues.
What we need:
- Hands-on windows development experience with Java.
- Experience working on a pre-existing large-scale codebase.
- Someone with a keen interest and willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies.
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
Even better if:
- Experience working on a variety of game systems and integrations into 3rd party technologies.
- Additional experience with C# / C++ would be ideal, other languages and scripting languages (e.g. Python ) would be beneficial.
- Experience of OpenGL game engines or networked and MMO games.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.