Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game publishers, with well over 600 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D and Makeover Studio 3D. Alongside this, we also have a growing PC and console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS! and Eternal Hope.
With a team of talented people collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, the Philippines and many more, we have a truly global team making games for a global audience. And it’s paying off: Kwalee games have been downloaded in every country on earth! If you think you’re a good fit for one of our remote vacancies, we want to hear from you wherever you are based.
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle. Could your idea be the next global hit?
What’s the job?
As General Counsel you are an expert in IP law, copyrights, patents, trademarks and commercial agreements and you love games so this is perfect for you!
What you tell your friends you do
“I’m responsible for overseeing all legal matters at one of the world’s most successful game publishers”
What you will really be doing
- Overseeing all legal matters at Kwalee
- Managing a small in-house legal team and working closely with external legal advisers
- Handling our Intellectual Property rights
- Producing and reviewing commercial agreements
- Managing anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy matters including takedown notices
- Assisting with domestic and foreign trademark prosecution and litigation
- Keeping track of all existing agreements and ensuring they are adhered to
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to achieve the best results.
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you can get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with more than 200 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced, passionate and diverse team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and requirements
- Fully qualified lawyer with 15 years of experience managing disputes and litigation in intellectual property (trademarks, copyright and patents) and producing and negotiating commercial agreements including licensing with at least 10 year of PQE (preferably with some experience practicing law in the UK or the US)
- Law degree from a well-reputed university
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Highly organised, with strong attention to detail
- Self starter attitude, proactive
- Passion for games
- We want everyone involved in our games to share our success, that’s why we have a generous team profit sharing scheme from day 1 of employment
- Creative Wednesdays! (Design and make your own games every Wednesday)
- Great work-life balance with flexible working hours
- Quarterly team building days - work hard, play hard!
- Monthly employee awards
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.
Kwalee makes games to bring people, their stories, and their interests together. As an employer, we’re dedicated to making sure that everyone can thrive within our team by welcoming and supporting people of all ages, races, colours, beliefs, sexual orientations, genders and circumstances. With the inclusion of diverse voices in our teams, we bring plenty to the table that’s fresh, fun and exciting; it makes for a better environment and helps us to create better games for everyone! This is how we move forward as a company – because these voices are the difference that make all the difference.