ReedPop is looking for an experienced Guides Writer to work as part of the guides team on our dedicated PC games site, Rock Paper Shotgun.
Our in-depth, authoritative guides have a huge and appreciative audience, and we’re looking for the right candidate to contribute to their continued growth.
As a Guides Writer, you will work closely with our Guides Editor and the rest of the editorial team to create the best original PC games guides on the internet. You'll get your hands on the latest releases and learn them inside and out, tearing them down to give readers everything they need to enjoy them to the fullest. And you'll have an opportunity to add your own voice to one of the most respected editorial teams in the business, forming a key part of a team delivering authoritative and widely-read coverage of the world’s most popular PC releases.
- Play major PC game releases across many popular genres and work with the Guides Editor and other staff to identify the best approaches, structure, and content priorities for our guides.
- Deliver comprehensive, accurate, clear and concisely written guides under time pressure, ensuring they meet our editorial standards.
- Learn search engine optimisation (SEO) best practice and apply it to our guide content, ensuring that it reaches as wide an audience as possible.
- Learn our content management system (CMS) and use it to prepare your own and others' guide content for publication.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Superb writing style, with an emphasis on clarity and economy, but also an appealing tone. Great attention to detail.
- Extensive knowledge of video games across a wide range of genres, with a particular focus on the highest-profile new releases and most played games on Steam.
- A good practical understanding of video game design.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of determination and drive; strong organisational skills and a methodical mindset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive attitude and a team mentality, with great attention to detail.
- Passion for PC games and video gaming in general.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Degree in a relevant subject, especially Journalism, English or a related media subject.
- An understanding of the web publishing environment, including the theory and practice of search engine optimisation.
- Prior experience in writing guides or informative articles, about games or a similar topic.
- A general interest in writing and reading.
As a global pop culture media business, ReedPop has an extensive stable of respected editorial websites, event brands and video channels. Our editorial brands range from mainstream videogame sites to more specialist brands dedicated to the games business, PC gaming or board games, etc. Our success has come from creating authoritative, trusted content for global audiences.
Please visit www.reedpop.com to find out more.
If you can demonstrate that you have the passion and knowledge to take on the role described above, we’d love to hear from you!
While we welcome all applications, you must be able to include links to examples of your written work, perhaps published articles online or any other relevant material collected in a blog or personal portfolio linked in you CV or cover letter. These written samples will be the main thing we will be looking at to evaluate your application, along with your CV.
We have a Brighton UK office location, and this role can be based either there, or remotely from within the UK.
Please use the link below to apply via our corporate site. Please upload a cover letter alongside your CV, if you choose, but be sure to include some links to a portfolio or online work examples in your CV or cover letter.