A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex has begun exciting new projects that leverage our legendary RuneScape IP in creative ways. We are expanding a project team with expertise in the latest technologies, focused around Unreal Engine 5, to create a highly-skilled, player-focused development group that you could join. A core team based in Cambridge, augmented by members distributed globally, form a friendly, talented bunch keen to invite new members.
Apply your passion for creating unforgettable online games and drive technology development to help us fulfil our vision for a deep, community-driven, connected, multi-platform Open World Survival Craft experience, set in the RuneScape universe.
Jagex are looking for a talented Lead Designer to take on a key role for an exciting new IP, built in Unreal Engine 5. Reporting to the Design Director, you will be responsible for the leadership and day to day management of the design team, ensuring high quality delivery of gameplay features and content. You will be expected to be hands-on and contribute towards creating compelling paper designs, prototypes and fully functional in-engine features. You will work closely with the directors to help establish the design vision and document any guides, design briefs and pipelines in support of that goal. Key Duties:
- Own and provide design strategy for major game features or specific design craft disciplines
- Coordinate and review work of contributing designers, ensuring support of the design vision alongside the Design Director
- Be the keeper of design quality, upholding a common standard across in area of ownership
- Lead by example and help set the standard for quality work, and a positive creative culture
- Provide mentorship to more junior designers and foster the career development of reports
- Work with other team leads to foster effective communication across art, design, engineering, audio and QA.
- Work with the Production and Directors to establish measurable development phases with specified goals for each major area of design
- Help communicate design strategy to all team members, raising both design and interpersonal issues upwards to the directors
- Set up mechanisms to maintain consistent quality and provide feedback and critique
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of individual tasks and goals
- Responsible for designing and taking implementation ownership of game-play mechanics and system design development.
- Responsible for creating and updating design documentation.
- Experience working on a 3rd person action/adventure and/or RPG titles
- Professional experience working in editors and scripting languages
- Comprehensive knowledge of game design principles, the game industry, and its products
- Professional experience working as a designer responsible for a key area of development (e.g., combat, level design, system, etc)
- Passion for games and game development
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.