Are you an experienced Games Engineer looking for an exciting challenge, to develop and mentor a team on one of our flagship IPs? We are looking for Lead Game Engineer to lead, develop and motivate a team of engineers while collaborating with other departments across the organisation.
As Lead Game Engineer you will be responsible for operating and developing game systems for Old School RuneScape. The Old School RuneScape engineering team covers a broad range of clients, tools and services, you’ll need a comprehensive understanding of existing technologies while continually driving to enhance and change them.
What you'll be doing:
- Line management for part of the Old School engineering team, support them in all aspects of their working life.
- Gather and analyse requirements from internal customers, working with the production and leadership teams to prioritise requirements and plan the development roadmap.
- Anticipate, identify and articulate problem areas and develop preventative solutions.
- Manage our relationship with external client engineers, advising them in planning milestones and ensuring that live issues are resolved expediently.
- Work with the leadership team to become the vision holder for the long-term progression of the Old School RuneScape technology and lead peers to share this vision.
- Adhere to and maintain high software development standards.
- Interview and recruit new staff as required, using interview skills and techniques to find and acquire the best candidates.
What we're looking for:
- Extremely proficient with C++.
- Games experience working on at least one launched title.
- Experience working as a senior engineer across a range of game engine systems.
- Strong understanding of architecture, system design, and best practices.
- Fluent in communicating and innovating solutions to complex problems.
- Knowledgeable and appreciative of old-school and modern development practices, with experience evaluating and recommending custom versus off-the-shelf solutions.
- Ability to work well in a team and with others; good communication skills are essential.
- Willingness to mentor and support other team members to achieve their best work.
What will make you stand out:
- Experience with leading a team.
- Experience working on large-scale MMO games
- Interest in any of the following areas: graphics programming, automated testing, scripting frameworks, UI.
- Familiarity with CMake or similar build tools
- Knowledge of other languages such as Java, Python, Lua and Bash
- Experience developing games for multiple platforms, including PC, Mac OSX, Linux, iOS and Android
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.