Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game publishers, with well over 600 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D and Makeover Studio 3D. Alongside this, we also have a growing PC and console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS! and Eternal Hope.
With a team of talented people collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, the Philippines and many more, we have a truly global team making games for a global audience. And it’s paying off: Kwalee games have been downloaded in every country on earth! If you think you’re a good fit for one of our remote vacancies, we want to hear from you wherever you are based.
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle. Could your idea be the next global hit?
As a Lead Game Programmer you'll be leading a small team of programmers who are responsible for making playable adverts using Unity and the Luna pipeline which converts a Unity project into a playable HTML5 advert. If you are a senior developer looking for the next challenge then this would be the perfect role for you. Experience creating playable adverts is a bonus but not strictly required.
What you tell your friends you do
“I make chart topping mobile games, many developers will only dream of having a game hit the number one spot on the appstore, at Kwalee it’s a regular occurrence”
What you will really be doing
- Designing and writing high quality and reliable code for our marketing ads.
- Motivating your team to create engaging playable ads and marketing builds
- Reviewing and maintaining quality code.
- Managing and communicating the expectations of the company and your team members.
- Dealing with problems that arise within the development cycle of your team.
- Using C# and Unity as the main technologies in your day to day work.
- Solving any challenges that might appear on the way.
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to coordinate efforts and get the best results.
- You’ll think creatively and will be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you can get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with around 100 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced, passionate and diverse team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and requirements
- At least 5 years of experience in game development with at least 3 in C#.
- Experience with Unity.
- An avid interest in either console or mobile games, preferably both.
- Some experience with a build distribution platform such as Jenkins.
- Deep understanding and appropriate use of design patterns and code architecture.
- Experience leading a team or managing reports.
- Experience reviewing code.
- Ability to derive tasks from a design document.
- Attention to detail.
- Self motivated.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Experience with source control such as SVN, Git or Perforce.
- 3D and 2D gameplay experience.
- Experience integrating 3rd party APIs.
- Rapid prototyping experience.
- 3D Software experience a bonus.
- Playable experience is a bonus.
- We want everyone involved in our games to share our success, that’s why we have a generous team profit sharing scheme from day 1 of employment
- In addition to a competitive salary we also contribute to your pension, offer private medical cover and life assurance
- Creative Wednesdays! (Design and make your own games every Wednesday)
- Access to on site gym - no more skiving!
- 25 days of paid holidays plus bank holidays
- Great work-life balance with flexible working hours
- Quarterly team building days - work hard, play hard!
- Entertainment area with consoles, pool table, tennis table and darts!
- Monthly employee awards
- Free snacks, fruit and drinks
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.