Location: Day-to-day you may work remotely or at the studio at Jagex Ltd, 220 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0WA (where you may be required to work by the business from time to time). Unfortunately we are unable to offer Visa support for this role and therefore the successful applicant must have current RTW in the UK. Reports to: Head of Legal Department: Legal & Business Affairs We are looking for a proactive and adaptable Legal Counsel to join our growing Legal Team at an exciting time for the business. Reporting to the Head of Legal, you will be working across all areas of the diverse and dynamic legal games world as part of a team of 5 (including a Senior Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel and a Paralegal). Your day-to-day work will focus on key commercial and technology projects both in the UK and globally with an intellectual property leaning, but also licensing, commercial relationships and contracts, litigation, data protection and marketing. You will also assist in reviewing, developing and managing efficient processes for the team using new legal technology. This is an exciting opportunity for a commercial and creative lawyer who wants to immerse themselves in Jagex’s rich IP portfolio as part of a broad and varied legal role within the video games industry. What you'll be doing...
- Review, negotiate and draft a broad range of video game specific and other commercial contracts (e.g. NDAs, Development & Publishing Agreements, Service Agreements, Master Services Agreements, Consultancy Agreements, Agency Agreements).
- Provide strategic and practical advice to the business on IP, commercial, corporate, data protection and regulatory matters.
- Assist on corporate transactions including liaising with external solicitors on M&A transactions and corporate compliance, updating the Head of Legal on all relevant matters.
- Liaise with external bodies and internal stakeholders on new developments in gaming and gambling which will impact the business, providing tools and advice to navigate the exciting and constantly evolving games landscape.
- Assist the HR and Talent Acquisition function with employment, immigration and litigation matters
- Help manage a diverse portfolio of trademarks and shape the business brand strategy.
- Support and collaborate with other members of the Legal Team and building trusted partner relationships with stakeholders across the business.
- Devise, develop and implement policies, practices and procedures to drive the improvement of the Legal function within Jagex and ensure overall business compliance.
- Support the Head of Legal in the development and maintenance of effective and efficient interaction with external regulators, ensuring that Jagex’s views are appropriately represented and facilitating the supervisory activity of regulators.
Experience & Qualifications we're looking for:
- An excellent academic record and qualifying law degree (or equivalent) together with the relevant qualifications to practice law as a solicitor (or equivalent) within England and Wales.
- Solid PQE related work experience, with a commercial focus on intellectual property and contract law. Prior in-house experience is desired, as is prior games industry experience.
- You will be accustomed to working on a broad mixture of commercial contracts with excellent drafting, interpersonal and communication skills.
- You will be a team player able to work collaboratively both within the Legal team and as a wider business partner but will be equally comfortable working on projects independently.
- it would be an advantage if you have a specialism in IP and solid experience in data protection (litigation experience would also be an advantage);
We'd like someone who...
- has sound experience in intellectual property and commercial law and who takes a practical, risk-based approach to providing legal advice;
- has excellent IT skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- is capable of working independently and is highly efficient with a high-volume workload;
- is approachable, friendly and supportive: you will work day-to-day with the entire team and we work as a positive, collaborative and solutions-focused team;
- is flexible and calm (capable of coping with and responding to change quickly); and
- always behaves in a professional manner, maintaining a positive and conscientious work ethic whilst also demonstrating initiative and determination to find solutions, overcome challenges get the job done.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.