A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex has begun exciting new projects that leverage our legendary RuneScape IP in creative ways. We are expanding a project team with expertise in the latest technologies, focused around Unreal Engine 5, to create a highly-skilled, player-focused development group that you could join. A core team based in Cambridge, augmented by members distributed globally, form a friendly, talented bunch keen to invite new members.
Apply your passion for creating unforgettable online games and drive technology development to help us fulfil our vision for a deep, community-driven, connected, multi-platform Open World Survival Craft experience, set in the RuneScape universe.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lighting Artist to join a growing team on a brand-new project!
A hybrid of artistry and technical know-how, lighting artists design optimal lighting systems that support the art direction criteria and enhance the player experience. Technically, lighting artists are responsible for developing and maintaining lighting systems, pipelines and processes used by the art and animation teams. Lighting artists work closely with engineering and design to hit visual benchmark quality, unblock technical challenges without compromising the limitations of the platform. They are advanced specialists in offline, real-time rendering and lighting set ups in rendering software and modern game engines.
This role gives a rare opportunity for a lead to make a significant impact on a game from conception to completion.Key Duties Include:
- Light environment, scenes, characters, and cinematics based on the games art direction and style.
- Create and maintain all elements of lighting within the game.
- Protype and establish visual targets.
- Remove visual challenges both technically and artistically.
- Balance visual quality and optimal performance while adhering to the technical specifications.
- Act as the bridge between art and engineering within the lighting specialism.
- Develop optimal tools and workflows with tech art and engineering.
- Ensure lighting delivery aligns with the production roadmap.
- Support lighting related VFX as required.
- Previous experience lighting on high-end PC, console title or CGI production.
- Portfolio showcasing lighting capabilities both artistically and technically.
- Professional hands-on experience lighting in Unreal Engine.
- Technical expertise with 3D modelling and rendering software.
- Thorough understanding of composition, colour theory, light, and form.
- Up to date practical knowledge of modern lighting pipelines and techniques.
- Good communication skills.
- Self-organized, mature mindset.
- Attention to detail is essential and all tasks must be carried out to the highest standard.
- Open and willing to learn, grow, give, and accept constructive feedback.
- Keen problem solver.
- Function independently as and when required.
- C++, Python, Mel.
- VFX (Particle) Creation.
- Cinematography/ Photography.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.