Lead Network Programmer
Media Molecule is a video game development studio based in Guildford in the UK, and a proud member of the PlayStation Worldwide Studios. We are the creators of the multi-award winning games LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Tearaway, Tearaway Unfolded and we're currently building the next generation of Play, Create and Share for PlayStation 4: Dreams.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Media Molecule as we look to further push the creative boundaries of gaming and we are passionate about making games with creative gameplay. Our studio is fast paced, dynamic, collaborative and is undergoing a period of significant growth and evolution!
Location: Our studio in Guildford or remote (able to work within the same timezone as the UK via video conferencing due to the need for close real-time collaboration).
Role: We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative individual to join our studio and help us to build real-time networked systems. We hope to find someone who will be eager to work with Designers and Programmers to implement key game features from conception to live deployment.
What you'll be doing:
- You will work closely with production to manage the day-to-day work of the Network programming team.
- You will ensure that system designs are clearly established and communicated to relevant stakeholders.
- You will proactively solve problems, working in collaboration with other discipline leads.
- You will ensure that technical initiatives across the Network team are aligned with the studio’s technical strategy.
- You will be accountable for ensuring the technical quality and timely cadence of the Network team’s releases.
- You will work closely with designers to realise creative objectives.
- You will oversee the Network programming team and provide mentoring.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to manage people, tasks allocation and multiple stakeholders to deliver scheduled product goals.
- Good C and C++ skills with the ability to write readable/maintainable code.
- Good debugging and analytical skills.
- Able to effectively communicate technical designs, specifications and risks to non-technical team members.
- Able to take an idea from a high level concept through to implementation.
- Able to collaborate with a wide range of disciplines to critique the quality of your own work.
- Self-motivated and able to adapt effectively to new challenges as they arise.
- Experience of leading small teams of programmers to successfully complete projects to agreed deadlines.
- Professional experience as a network programmer.
- You are able to work effectively with production teams to analyse and address development needs.
- You are able to work independently and are capable of delivering team results with limited supervision.
- Deep understanding of game networking models and the pros and cons of each.
- An advanced understanding of server architecture and networking protocols used for real-time online games at scale alongside an associated knowledge of network and server security.
- Familiarity with hardware details of multiple game platforms, their associated capabilities and performance bottlenecks.
- Experience with load testing and simulation.
- Experience debugging and rectifying code in a multithreaded environment.
- You have experience developing and refactoring code in a live service environment.
- Experience with AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Previous line management experience.
- An interest in UGC games.
- Experience leading teams working in a remote capacity.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity.