ReedPop's industry leading video games website Eurogamer has built a reputation for delivering some of the best editorial in the games industry, across news, reviews, features, guides and video. Reporting on games and their communities - both before and after release - has become an increasingly important focus for our coverage.
As a Reporter, you will work within our awards-winning news team, gain an excellent foundation in the basics of professional games journalism, and have the chance to bring a fresh voice to Eurogamer. Your responsibilities will include selecting and writing stories our audience will love, being prolific within tight deadlines, unearthing stories others have missed from gaming’s many active communities, interviewing and developing sources to break stories first.
The successful applicant will have some journalism or published news writing experience. What is important is an ability to bring personality and reflection to your reporting, while being clear and precise with facts.
- Work closely with the news team to report on announcements, conduct interviews and investigate stories that matter to our readers.
- Deliver accurate, clear and concise copy to a deadline, following well defined editorial standards, while also offering a fresh voice on our site.
- Embed within game communities to spot potential stories.
- Following up assiduously with PRs and other contacts to go deeper on stories.
- Work in our CMS to make sure stories meet a high standard of presentation.
- Collaborate with the entire editorial team on all aspects of Eurogamer's coverage, including authoring the best puns in game journalism.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable talent for good reporting.
- Ability to unearth and tell interesting stories about games and their communities.
- Willingness to secure interviews and ask tough questions.
- Potentially encyclopedic knowledge of video games from a range of genres.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of determination and drive.
- Positive attitude and a team mentality
- Show passion and excitement about video games and gaming culture.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- A journalism qualification or degree in a relevant subject.
- Knowledge of the games industry itself, with a clear interest in the sector.
- An interest in the technology, entertainment and lifestyle sectors in general.
As a global pop culture media business, ReedPop has an extensive stable of respected editorial websites, event brands and video channels. Our editorial brands range from mainstream videogame sites to more specialist brands dedicated to the games business, PC gaming or board games, etc. Our success has come from creating authoritative, trusted content for global audiences.
Please visit www.reedpop.com to find out more.
If you can demonstrate that you have the passion and knowledge to take on the role described above, we’d love to hear from you!
While we welcome all applications, you should be able to include examples of your written work, perhaps links to published articles or any other relevant material such as a blog or personal portfolio. This is the main thing we will be looking at to evaluate your application, along with your CV.
We have a Brighton UK office location, and this role can be based either there, or remotely from within the UK.
Please include a cover letter if you choose, but be sure to include some links to a portfolio or work examples in your CV or cover letter.