A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
As the person accountable for the Engineers (the “who”) behind Jagex’s worldwide operational infrastructure, and in-house development infrastructure, you will manage a group of skilled Ops Engineers embedded across multiple teams. Your goal is to create a world class group of engineers that provide IT Services; you will do this via hiring, mentoring, coaching and performance management. You will be responsible for a Community of Practice for IT Engineering at Jagex and will be accountable for the quality of work that Jagex Ops Engineers produce. You will encourage the IT Engineering community towards best-practice, and drive the development and adoption of technical principles, standards and procedures. You will be responsible for delivering a technology strategy by facilitating within the Community of Practice with a coach first mentality. You will align that technology strategy with other technology leaders or other Community of Practice’s to ensure its optimal for the company. You will have a good understanding of the problem spaces that Ops Engineers at Jagex operate in and will use that understanding to plan the development of new capabilities in the IT Engineering community.Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Lead a group of highly performing and skilled Ops Engineers:
- By motivating the Ops Engineers, and recognising success
- By promoting trust, constructive conflict, and by setting a positive climate and an open and honest work environment
- By acting as a model, and promoting the company values
- By promoting and supporting cross-team collaboration to meet company goals
Manage a group of highly performing and skilled Ops Engineers:
- By recruiting, and supporting the development of Engineers with “T-shaped” skillsets
- By supporting Agile delivery and helping to unblock impediments
- By understanding business needs, identifying skill gaps in the community, and fostering the development of new IT Engineering capabilities that fill those gaps
- By ensuring the effective onboarding of new Ops Engineers
Supervise a group of highly performing and skilled Ops Engineers:
- By contributing to the development of community principles, and holding the community accountable to those principles
- By driving the development and adoption of technical standards and procedures
- By holding line reports, and colleagues, accountable to the company values and behaviours
Work closely with Product Owners and Agile Coaches:
- You will work closely with Product Owners to ensure that we are building optimal teams that meet product needs
- You will work closely with Agile Coaches, who are critical in helping facilitate and understand team WIP limits and optimizing workflows
- By developing and documenting in-house standards, procedures and best practices
- By reviewing solution implementations and performing code reviews
- By contributing to IT technical strategy
- Well balanced technologist and servant-leader
- Excellent Communication and Team-working Skills
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Extremely well organised
- Strong experience of working with Outsourcers and Insourcers to manage spikes in demand
- A good understanding of Agile Methodologies
- A very good understanding of Linux Operating Systems
- A good understanding of Computer Networks
- A good understanding of Information Security
- A good understanding of Database Administration
- A good understanding of Storage Area Networks
- A good understanding of Computer Science, or Software Development Processes
- A good understanding of AWS
- Cool under pressure
- Gamer at heart
- To complete all technical work according to the team definition of done
- To only undertake to do work that is within your professional competence.
- To document, formalise and automate work processes, particularly where those processes differ from standard industry practice.
- To keep up to date with industry best practice, and to steer the team towards best practice
- To adopt, and model, the company behaviours and values (at Jagex we are Player Obsessed, we are Scientifically Creative, we have the Courage for Change, we are Open & Honest, we Work as a Team, and we Take Responsibility)
- At all times, and in all things, to put the Company before the Team, and the Team before the Self
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.