For our awesome Total War team in our Sofia (Bulgaria) based studio, we have an excellent opportunity for a truly established artist to take on a Project Art Director role.
As the Project Art Director for our next TW tent pole project, you will be responsible for delivering high quality, efficient art for the game in a timely fashion. You will lead the art and animation disciplines both technically and creatively. You will develop a clear vision for the visual Art Direction of the game, which you will communicate to the art team and further. As a core team member of the leadership team on the project, you will be involved in every stage of the game's development.
Please note that applications for this role must include a portfolio/showreel (attached or as a link) and applications without such will not be considered.
As the Project Art Director, you will be flexible in your pursuit of a great game. You will deliver high quality well optimised games that are visually stunning and impactful. You will provide project art direction and have a solid foundation in artistic fundamentals. You will bring practical experience to the role and balance priorities and schedules and communicate your decisions to the project team.
A core element of this role is to provide clear leadership for your team. You will be responsible for mentoring the leads in your team and their ongoing development as an artists and game developer. Your team is your priority.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Lead and inspire creative processes within a team from concept to final product
- Set the vision and quality bar for the art team
- Hold regular art reviews to ensure quality and consistency and to also ensure the product meets the vision
- Either create or follow existing art direction
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Deep knowledge of one or more areas of game art, and a broad understanding of game art and game development
- Demonstrable experience of being in a leadership or mentoring role
- Excellent communication skills and understanding of the technical aspects of game art development
- Excellent understanding of artistic fundamentals - anatomy, colour theory, lighting, composition
- Highly organized individual with experience in managing creative teams and effective collaborators with other disciplines
- Passionate about game development and able to exercise game sensibility when making artistic decisions
- Inspiring communicator, able to steer the team to achieve awesome results
- Good understanding of historical periods and their key visuals regarding equipment and architecture.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Additional medical and dental health insurance for you, your partner and kids, life insurance, and free health care screening
- Additional holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all Bulgarian Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, soft drinks and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Office massages
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer and Christmas parties, Children’s day party, wrap parties for game releases
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.