A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
The Character Artist is skilled at creating realistic and stylized people and creatures. They demonstrate a strong understanding of anatomy, excellent organic modelling and surfacing skills, and excellent understanding and skill in how to build meshes that deform well when animated.
Character Artists work with concept artists, animators, and general technical artists/animators to create performance optimized, high-quality models, textures, and shaders.
Being a senior character artist, it is expected you will create and implement benchmark quality digital artwork meeting the art direction criteria. You set the quality bar and provide artistic, technical guidance, coaching and mentoring to others on how to achieve it.At a senior level, it is important to demonstrate an all-round ability to solve problems reliably and autonomously with great organizational, scheduling and mentorship skills. You must show an ability to look more broadly at product development and strategize accordingly within discipline.
Overall, as a senior you are expected to take on a high level of responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of complex tasks on a project.
- Own and deliver large and complex areas of character art to game
- Consistently deliver character work to the very highest standards as benchmarked against the wider industry
- Create and iteratively develop game character assets from inception to final review
- Professional knowledge of art fundamentals and anatomy that give the ability to make consistently excellent artistic judgements
- Professional knowledge of relevant software and pipelines for creating character art assets
- Extensive hands-on Game Engine and character art pipelines experience
- Strong Communication skills (Keep managers and any dependent team members informed about the progress of work including any potential problems)
- Able to adapt to varying art styles while consistently to set quality bar
- A willingness and ability to learn, accept and act on constructive feedback
- Ability to develop and communicate ideas and concepts in a visual manner
- Willingness to work to a brief, adopt working practices and work within the stated boundaries
- including art style, technical specifications, and schedule
- Self-organised approach (to naming, filing, backing up and archiving of all work in accordance with company and team policy)
- Ability to identify production issues, seek solutions, source reference and guidance before solving or communicating them as appropriate in a self-sufficient manner
- Demonstrates skills in basic management tasks including good communication and scheduling of personal tasks and any delegated support structure
- Shares knowledge with others by freely exchanging skills through training and mentoring
- Will be thorough in their approach to problem solving and able to function independently as and when required
- Full understanding and experience of the entire game production cycle and associated issues
- Pro-actively track and follow key industry trends and techniques
- Portfolio evidence creating benchmark character art showcased in 3D software and game engine
- Expert working knowledge of Maya, Z-Brush and Substance
- Thorough knowledge of end to end in character workflow and related disciplines
- Enough understanding of technical art to communicate and resolve character related issues
- Comfortable with running individual, group review and critique sessions
- Able to time manage, prioritise, and track both themselves and direct reports
- Ability to communicate clearly, and concisely to team, peers, and management
- Comfortable mentoring and coaching those more junior
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- Excellent soft skills and teamworking
- 2D concept skills, basic rigging skills, costume, and character design skills
- Experience with the Open World Survival Craft genre
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.