Creative Assembly Sofia’s talented and motivated team is exploring exciting new projects at our studio in Sofia, Bulgaria with Unreal Engine 5.
We are looking for a talented and experienced Combat Designer to join us in creating a ground-breaking new game. This is an excellent opportunity to work closely with several mixed discipline teams, directing them to bring together all the elements that contribute to delivering world-class combat gameplay and emotion.
In this role, you will bring your in-depth understanding and passion for 3rd person melee combat coupled with experience in designing, developing and balancing combat systems. You will bring expertise to the project; what makes a fight feel both satisfying and fair and will understand how combat synergises with other areas of the game to create exciting and lasting experiences. You will understand how to create depth in gameplay and the nuance required to create combat that is aligned with the game’s unique vision. As well as possessing strong creative skills, you will need excellent communication skills, to drive your vision forward.
As Combat Designer on the project, you will take a key role in our Battle Design Team and will be working closely with leads and directors to deliver core combat systems and content that realise the vision of the game.
A key member of the team, you will be able to leave your mark on a new and exciting project. You will be regularly communicating with team members and directors to maintain passion and focus, and update them on any progress. You will also coordinate with production to establish relevant deliverables.
On a day-to-day basis, you will design systems and combat experiences and see them through from prototype to final stages of polish in collaboration with several discipline groups to ensure the target quality and project vision are achieved.
You will give, seek and receive feedback and adopt an agile mindset towards your work, seeking to analyze the fun factor and comprehension of combat and to identify issues and opportunities for improvement.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience as a Combat designer, understanding the process of delivering a game
- Experience developing a game with third-person action melee combat, preferably in AAA development
- Deep understanding of third-person action melee combat both as a designer and a player
- Good knowledge of motion and animation design (and their application in combat design)
- Analytical skills for evaluating systems and interpreting player behavior
- Highly developed communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and a passion for delivering high-quality work
- Working with multi-discipline teams
- Experience in delivery of a Game As A Service
- Experience with Unreal 4/5 development
- Good technical design skills
- Familiar with Agile development processes
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Additional medical and dental health insurance for you, your partner and kids, life insurance, and free health care screening
- Additional holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all Bulgarian Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, soft drinks and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Office massages
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer and Christmas parties, Children’s day party, wrap parties for game releases
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.