A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Job Purpose: We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Concept Artist to join a growing team on our iconic game RuneScape! In this role you will be responsible for designing characters, props and environments based on the established art direction alongside the Lead Concept Artist and the Concept Art team. In addition, you will also be responsible for giving and receiving feedback for the wider team to hit expected standards and quality. This role gives a rare opportunity to work on one of the largest and longest running games in the UK gaming industry.You are a skilled individual who can create, deliver and assist in the concept art requirements of RuneScape while offering support to other developers across multiple projects. You are comfortable getting involved in design discussions, artistic feedback and providing support to external art teams. You have a strong understanding of fundamental art theory and techniques, and a keen desire to learn and teach others.
#LI-Remote What we need
- Excellent traditional 2D art skills
- Portfolio work demonstrating medieval/fantasy character design
- Portfolio work demonstrating medieval/fantasy environment asset design
- Portfolio work demonstrating medieval/fantasy environmental design, both natural and man-made.
- Strong knowledge of lighting/mood studies
- Expert understanding of art style and techniques so that you can pass this knowledge on to others in the form of workshops, tutorials, and documentation.
- Strong knowledge of Photoshop, and preferably a 3D package.
- Support the Lead to ensure a successful sign off process for own and others work by conducting reviews, critiquing work and providing suitable feedback.
- Able to time manage and prioritise own work schedule, and those of more junior artists.
- Ability to communicate clearly, and concisely to team, peers and management
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- Good soft skills and teamwork
Even better if
- Working knowledge of storyboarding
- Prior knowledge of RuneScape
- To behave at all times in a professional manner, maintaining a positive and conscientious work ethic whilst also demonstrating initiative and determination to get the job done.
- To work effectively with colleagues both within the immediate team and across the company whenever necessary.
- To demonstrate a willingness to adapt to the evolving environment of the company, teams and work requirements.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.