A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Job OverviewThey possess technical knowledge of the art pipelines and deliver complex scenes from software to engine. They hold a strong understanding of architectural, structural and stage design, lighting, scene composition, storytelling and an appreciation of level design for game play.Being a senior environment artist, it is expected you will create and implement benchmark quality digital artwork meeting the art direction criteria. You set the quality bar and provide artistic, technical guidance, coaching and mentoring to others on how to achieve it.At a senior level, it is important to demonstrate an all-round ability to solve problems reliably and autonomously with great organizational, scheduling and mentorship skills. You must show an ability to look more broadly at product development and strategize accordingly within discipline. Overall, as a senior you are expected to take on a higher level of responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of complex tasks on a project.
- Own and deliver large and complex areas of the game environment
- Autonomously produce inspiring benchmark quality environment assets adhering to the products art direction and technical constraints.
- Guarantee visual consistency by understating and following the art style guide
- Use mechanisms and strong artistic judgment to evaluate asset quality and correct accordingly
- Work collaboratively with designers and art to produce the best player focussed interactive experience
- Research, collate and prepare reference and source materials as required for the creation of in game environments.
- Have deep knowledge and understanding of the product enabling the best visual decisions and appropriate artwork
- Ensure the technical delivery of frame rate, budgets, lighting and shaders
- Work with OS teams providing on point feedback and integrating artwork as needed
- Be a major driver and voice in cross discipline visual development, brainstorms, and pitches
- Review internal and external artwork to maintain a consistent quality and provide effective feedback and critique
- Share knowledge and level up via mentoring, coaching and critique sessions those more junior in craft
- Effectively scope, plan and time cost out deliverables
- Create technical documentation to support visual direction e.g. – production guides
- Encourage, promote, and build good team and studio morale in an open, creative environment
- Support the lead or AD as required in their duties
- Portfolio demonstrating full environment work (not just props) in both 3D software and game engine covering; modelling, surfacing, texturing and lighting.
- Full proficiency in modern game development software; Maya, Substance, Photoshop, Z-Brush
- Experience of multiple full game development cycles or live product releases
- Strong technical knowledge of real-time engine budgets and optimizations
- Knowledge and expertise of the fundamental art principles (color, composition, value/ lighting, anatomy, form, perspective)
- Ability to deconstruct, understand and adapt to various art styles replicating them successfully
- Iterative and agile approach to visual development
- A deep artistic toolbox with multiple approaches to visual development and problem solving
- Comfortable running critique sessions
- Happy to give feedback to outsource partners or freelancers as required
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, and concisely to team, peers, and management
- Able to level up junior artists through coaching and mentoring
- Happy to both give and receive constructive criticism
- Have a passion for games and understand game development processes
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- Excellent soft skills and teamwork
- Experience with the Open World Survival Craft genre
- Experience with Unreal 4 or 5
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.