A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Job Purpose:Working as part of a passionate and cross-disciplinary agile game team, you will be integral to the development and delivery of the Old School RuneScape product roadmap. You’ll be working closely with our game developers on the game roadmap and larger initiatives like graphical enhancements and bringing the game to new audiences.
You will want to maintain what is working well while thinking ahead to enhance and improve our technology and game features.If you’re a senior level engine developer with a deep understanding of programming principles, we would love to hear from you.Key Duties:
- Programming using C++, Java and other languages as required
- Leading, defining, and evolving the current client engine architecture powering Old School RuneScape
- Researching, innovating, and developing new game engine technology
- Contributing to overall project strategy, being willing to put forward ideas, and to positively critique those put forward by others
- Taking an active interest in mentoring and levelling up more junior developers on the team
- Assisting in the recruitment of other great team members
- Extremely proficient with C++
- Games experience working on at least one launched title
- Experience working across a range of game engine systems
- Fluent in communicating and innovating solutions to complex problems, with experience evaluating and recommending custom versus off-the-shell solutions.
- Ability to work well in a team and with others, good communication skills are essential
- Willingness to mentor and support other team members to achieve their best work
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
Even Better if:
- Interest and experience in graphics programming
- Experience working on large-scale MMO games
- Comfortable working in other programming languages such as Java where it suits the situation
- Familiarity with CMake or similar build tools
- Experience developing games for multiple platforms, including PC, Mac OSX, Linux, iOS and Android
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.