Senior Gameplay Programmer
Uplift Games is the studio behind Adopt Me, the #1 game on the Roblox platform (25+ billion visits, 1.92 million record CCU) all about adopting cute pets. We’re looking for a talented and driven Senior Gameplay Programmer to join our studio. As a senior member of our engineering team, you will engineer and lead complex projects, help define engineering standards, and mentor others.
At Uplift Games, Gameplay Programmers are at the heart of our mission to “Create Future Nostalgia” - not just as technical experts, but also as creatives. Your ideas matter here. As you transform features from rough ideas into polished products, you will apply your critical design eye and excellent UX intuition. As the central integrator for the work of your cross-disciplinary peers, you are the owner of key initiatives, engaging with all aspects of game development.
This is an opportunity to create an outsized impact on many millions of players while operating in a small studio where every person plays a major role. It’s important that you take pride in your work, love to learn new things, and are naturally driven to deliver the best-in-class experiences.
We are a diverse team and we strongly encourage applications from people in marginalized groups. This is a remote position open to candidates who are based in the US or UK and can demonstrate eligibility to work in those countries.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Write excellent quality Lua code. Reduce technical debt and define best practices.
- Project manage complex initiatives spanning multiple peers and teams. Lead from start to finish, including assessing risk, setting goals, following up with collaborators, and ensuring timely delivery.
- Be a team player, including mentoring teammates, leading code reviews, documenting features, fixing bugs, and cleaning up old code.
- Implement game behavior that emphasizes intuitive, responsive, and delightful UX.
- Be creative. Brainstorm, design, and pitch gameplay updates.
- Understand the full game dev process, and flexibly fill gaps. For example, you will need to wireframe UIs, tweak particles, position/resize art assets, and more.
- Collaborate with your cross-disciplinary peers. Communicate clearly and empathetically both synchronously and asynchronously.
- Thoroughly test. Deploy to millions of players with minimal bugs.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development.
- Proficiency in Lua or your programming language of choice.
- Shipped a complete title or shipped key features in a live service game.
- An understanding of the human elements of software engineering: empathy, compassion, and patience.
- Demonstrated curiosity for learning new tools, technologies, and ways of working.
- Comfortable with math (especially vector math), physics, and computer science theory.
- Creativity, a good eye for design.
- Strong work ethic. You take initiative and thrive, even with minimal guidance.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills
- Great written and verbal communication in English.
- Passion for playing and making games.
- You value diversity and want to work alongside talented people from marginalised groups. We are explicitly a trans, LGBTQ+, BIPOC / BAME and disability positive team.
- A top quality game experience that you have designed and programmed
- Understanding of the Roblox community and Roblox player motivations
- Experience working in self-managed roles and remote teams
- Secondary game development skills that may help you support your engineering work - UI/UX, game design, graphic design, audio design, modeling + texturing, etc
REQUESTED SUPPLEMENTARY DOCUMENTS
- A copy of your CV / Resume
- Optional Cover Letter: A brief overview of why you want to work at Uplift Games.
- Optional Portfolio: Links to your past work to demonstrate your technical and creative skills.
- Optional Code Samples: One or more samples of your code (files or web links like Github are both fine).
WHAT’S THE COMPENSATION?
When possible, we provide transparent estimated salary ranges to set expectations early and to respect your time.
We recognize, however, that salaries vary within our various remote geographical locations. To give an indication of the salary level for this role, we estimate the annual salary will be as follows for these example locations:
- Bay Area, CA: $140,000 - $170,000 USD
- Dallas, TX: $110,000 - $140,000 USD
- London, UK: £75,000 - £95,000 GBP
Our compensation package is intended to be competitive with your local market and is negotiable.
In addition to salary, you will receive a signing bonus, along with a generously sized cash bonus package (4-year vested RSU-style cash bonus). You’ll also be eligible for our studio-wide annual bonus scheme, and we offer a competitive benefits package. Find out more on our Why Work Here page.