With expertise in all areas of game programming, our engineers are adept at writing code from scratch as well as working with middleware and existing tools. Our flexibility allows us to partner with our clients to determine the best technology plan that enables the successful execution of each project.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Graphics Programmer to be a key contributor to our team. At Schell, you will have an opportunity to help build and create a rendering pipeline from the ground up and help set the vision for how our graphics should look and feel. You will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining both high-level and low-level graphics-related systems in partnership with artists and designers. You will also stay on top of new industry trends and updates to game engines used by the studio. We are in particular looking for a render generalist with an aesthetic eye who can work closely with our artists to make our worlds come to life.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Serve as a technical expert on topics such as optimization, multi-threaded programming, and hardware capabilities
- Profiling/Optimization of CPU and GPU
- Create clean, efficient, and well-tested code
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams in order to establish budgets for art assets and design concepts, along with serving as liaison to non-engineering disciplines
- Develop and implement new and existing rendering techniques
- Implement efficient and stunning industry-defining visuals
DES-IRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 8-10 years experience with Unity and/or Unreal Engine 4 required
- Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
- Strong graphics background
- Strong knowledge of C and C++ programming languages
- Strong knowledge of industry-standard graphics APIs (DirectX, OpenGL, libGCM, Gnm Library)
- Self-motivated individual with excellent problem-solving skills
- Desire to understand hardware at a low level
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of shader programming languages (PSSL/HLSL/GLSL/Cg) *Preferred*
- Experience with GPGPU or Compute Shaders *Preferred*
Expectations of Senior level roles at Schell Games:
You are an expert in your discipline and share your knowledge with the studio. You have formed strong relationships inside and outside of the studio that allow you to leverage your expertise for the greatest impact. You think strategically about your craft and contribute heavily to your discipline community. You can be relied upon by your Vice President to represent your craft discipline.
You consistently build highly productive relationships by respecting your team members and clients, while effectively giving and addressing feedback. You set a high bar for delivery and hold others accountable, leveling up your team. You do this by demonstrating humility and empathy, building others' trust in you, and defaulting to trusting others. You maintain composure in the face of change and challenges.
You are deeply familiar with development methodologies and best practices. You identify and help improve faulty processes. You help solve problems. You drive consensus and move your projects toward their goals. You recognize and build off others' contributions.
Others consistently look to you as a leader (whether or not you are formally in that role). You quickly resolve conflicts, involving yourself or among others. You use empathy to seek understanding and common ground. You are a prime example to others of what a member of your discipline should be, and you actively promote those values. You respect and empathize with your colleagues and clients.
B.S. in Computer Science and/or Mathematics or equivalent work experience
Our studio is committed to providing an equitable and inclusive work environment that ensures that all applicants and team members are treated with dignity and respect. We will not tolerate any type of discrimination or harassment directed at any applicant or employee because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran, family or parental status or any other protected group characteristic. This equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Prohibiting discrimination and harassment is only one part of the equation. “Diversity makes us strong” is more than just something we say. We value diversity in all forms because it is essential to our success, and we want every member of our team to feel their best creative self. Our development environment and social culture are based on welcoming, respecting, and celebrating differences among our team members and our players. We rely on each person to add their own unique skills and perspective to our culture. Every member of our team is responsible for making the studio as inclusive and equitable as possible.
Candidate selected for this position will be subject to standard employment verification and criminal background check upon offer of contingent employment.