A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Together with our players, we're united as one Jagex tribe. Together we're building deep and engaging multiplayer gaming experiences for players everywhere. We continue to recruit massively into RuneScape and RuneScape Old School. They have more platforms and expansions to conquer. We're now also undertaking the exciting challenge of building up our company with Unreal Engine experience.
The role on this new game project is an excellent opportunity to shape the future of online service development at the forefront of Unreal Engine 4 & 5 development. Utilising your knowledge of multiplayer and network engineering, you will architect, implement and maintain the core systems and foundations, enabling fantastic player experiences.What you will be working on:
- You will drive and own the execution of the online services and the resulting experience, ensuring a high level of quality.
- You work closely with other disciplines to ensure that designs and systems are ready for the gameplay and UI teams to integrate and contribute to all aspects of live game service development.
- You will assist in administrating the platform services in collaboration with release management
What core skills and experience you have:
- With a solid background in online services development, you have implemented at least one online service (e.g. Xbox Live, PlayStation Network or other) for at least one commercial project.
- You have shipped Unreal Engine 4 projects and have a thorough understanding of the Online Subsystem and associated integrations.
- Experience in administrating the platform services to set up service backends for the clients to use, such as Leaderboards, Matchmaking, etc.
- Proven time management and organisational skills, you can help plan for the project at sprint-level and know how to prioritise your work for maximum impact.
- Comfortable working autonomously, you can get the job done without close supervision and make intelligent decisions with the information at hand.
- You can present ideas clearly and confidently to audiences of all experience levels with excellent communication and presentation skills.
What additional skills and experience you have:
- You love multiplayer games, know what makes them work and want to put your passion into making multiplayer games.
- You have worked on console platforms from Sony or Microsoft.
- You appreciate how UI and online systems work together to provide an enjoyable player experience.
What tech stack you will work in:
- Windows PC
- Unreal Engine
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.