A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
To support, maintain and advance Jagex’s worldwide game hosting and development infrastructure through automation and the adoption of modern infrastructure technologies, under the direction of the Ops Engineering Manager. To provide broad technical expertise, with specific areas of depth, within the Operations Systems Support team. To champion DevOps skills and agile working practices through example and mentoring.Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Operation, monitoring, and support of Jagex’s game hosting infrastructure.
- Operation, monitoring, and support of Jagex’s development infrastructure.
- Participation in the design, implementation, and maintenance of Cloud-first infrastructure in partnership with Development teams, supporting Jagex’s ongoing Cloud transition.
- Charter to automate, e.g., by defining Infrastructure as Code, by developing self-service systems or through implementation of autonomously scaling systems.
- Interaction with Development teams to help inform new product features, identify opportunities for improving reliability, and contribute to defect investigation/resolution.
- Maintenance and improvement of Jagex’s operational processes and documentation, e.g., configuration standards, logging, monitoring, disaster recovery.
- Mentoring more junior team members to develop their technical skills.
- Promoting Agile Principles within the team by example and mentoring.
- Responding to incidents in a data driven manner.
- Participation (negotiable) in an on-call rota providing out-of-hours cover.
- Proactive, problem-solving attitude and ability to work calmly under pressure
- Practical experience of DevOps, including CI/CD pipelines, Infrastructure as Code (e.g., Terraform) and Infrastructure Orchestration (e.g., Kubernetes)
- Strong scripting skills with an emphasis on Python
- A very good understanding of Linux Operating Systems
- A very good understanding of Cloud services (Amazon Web Services)
- A good understanding of Computer Networks
- A good understanding of how to apply Agile Principles to operational workloads
- Understanding of Converged on-prem infrastructure
- Understanding of Information Security concepts and awareness of relevant international standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer focused
- Gamer / Love for Computer Games
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.