Why Goose Byte
Do you wish that you could spend your work hours actually making games? We're offering that low-overhead-indie-team-productivity along with all of the stability and I-can-sleep-at-night big studio perks.
We're cultivating an inclusive, high performance, talent dense team where collaboration is key and we won't be tolerating talented jerks. High integrity is important and we nurture an environment built around the concepts of freedom, inclusivity, respect, sustainability, and trust.
Our senior programmer would enjoy a perfect blend of creative and technical challenges. The role encourages taking ownership of topics of interest and existing expertise, all while collaborating and supporting other developers. They will be trusted to take care of conception, design and even some art for complex gameplay systems which will push the player experience to the next level.
Our First Project
For our first project we’re making an open world survival crafting game that focuses on exploration and creativity over violence and combat, finding a unique space in a crowded genre to bring something exciting and different to players.
We’re creating our own IP, building on our love of science fiction, worldbuilding, and unconventional games, and as an indie studio we have full creative freedom and control.
Using our experience from leading AAA open world and action adventure games we’re thinking practically and pragmatically about our choices, from technology, to scope of features, and where to place our bets for quality and innovation.
There are lots of challenges ahead but we are setting our own ambitions and expectations, leveraging our scale to be decisive, move quickly, and make the game better every day.
You are definitely a match if you are excited by these opportunities…
- Focus on game dev, first and foremost. Always know the next three tasks you want to tackle
- Think like a programmer, a designer, an artist, and a player all in one
- Close off more tasks each week and assure the quality of your own work
- Create MVPs for the wider team to expand upon, working smart and fast to find the fun in the game
- Sync with the team and research their wants and dreams, use that as inspiration for your API design
- Dabble in all of the creative disciplines and continue to advance your game dev career
- Support and teach members of the team; from using source control, to engine workflows, to lifehacks! We'll all be chipping in to help each other hone our skills
Each colleague that joins our studio is equally important to its success. As such, all of our benefits are available to everyone, effective from their first day with us. Being transparent about this equality and how we value our employees is a key part of who we are.
- Hybrid Remote work - we primarily work from home with provided high-end hardware and collaboration tools. We meet once a week in our Montreal office for collaborative work and socializing.
- Flexible schedule
- $1,000 yearly employee lifestyle fund - use this to stay healthy, social, comfortable or productive
- Equal opportunity and equal pay employer
- Team building and social events in Montreal
- Zero tolerance policy on harassment, bullying and discrimination
- No talented jerks
- Competitive base salaries for all jobs
- Low admin and manager overhead - No boring reccurring meetings
- An uncapped profitability bonus scheme that shares studio profits with everyone
- We offer everyone dedicated high end hardware to maximise productivity
- Commitment to a Crunch-free environment
- Competitive Group Insurance Plan (Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance)
- Retirement fund - We match 50% of all employee RRSP contributions
- Studio shuts down one week for Winter Holidays
- Unlimited paid vacation for all employees - this means 5 weeks minimum
- Unlimited sick days / Family days / Flexi days
- All benefits start day one, for all employees
Get On Our Radar
We value diverse backgrounds and fresh perspectives. We hire based on future potential, not only your past experiences.
For the senior programmer we'd expect that you have opinions on how to (and how not to) create big gameplay systems, optimise production ready code and have collected your fair share of 'debugging nightmare' stories.
The main technologies we use at the moment are:
- Unreal Engine 5
- Google Workspace
If you're already got skills here it's a great bonus!
If you made it here and this sounds like a great fit for you, then what are you waiting for!