Charm Games is an independent studio of veteran game developers based in Vancouver, BC, Canada. We create beautiful adventures in virtual reality, like our award-winning 2017 VR Game of the Year finalist FORM (IGN, UploadVR).
Our goal is to create accessible, immersive worlds that evoke feelings of mystery, wonder, and charm. Our design philosophy is centered on ensuring players never leave feeling like they wanted something more. We value rapid iteration, continual growth, constant collaboration and the ability to make decisions that place our players at the center of our work.
About the Position
The Senior Technical Gameplay Designer - Virtual Reality is responsible for designing and implementing core gameplay systems and elements. This position will require a deep desire to understand and influence how all our gameplay systems combine into a memorable experience that delivers more than the sum of its parts. You will be successful in this role if you have an insatiable curiosity about the wants of our players, the needs of our developers, and the unique opportunities available for entertaining people in virtual reality.
This is an in-office or remote permanent full-time position. This position will encompass work on our announced original IP Trial By Teng. The successful candidate will be based in the Pacific time zone and must be eligible to work in Canada.
What you’ll be doing:
- Creating and communicating gameplay design concepts while maintaining a clear understanding of design direction
- Creating prototypes (paper and digital) to validate gameplay design concepts
- Driving the development, design and implementation of gameplay systems and puzzles working with all production disciplines
- Provide feedback and accurate risk/scope assessments when new features are proposed
- Working with the producer to organize design reviews and playtesting sessions
- Using feedback from reviews and playtests to implement gameplay changes
- Developing, maintaining and improving best practices related to content production pipeline and tools (naming, conventions, etc.)
- Providing constructive feedback for gameplay content and features, and provide continual technical support for the content production pipeline
What you’ll bring:
- Prior shipped work in a design role on a title developed in Unity or Unreal
- Demonstrated expertise in gathering, filtering, and applying player and developer feedback in technical design decisions
- Experience visually communicating design intent through "paper" prototyping or using digital art tools
- Demonstrated ability to listen well, treat people with respect, and maintain calm poise under stress
- Proven experience making wise choices and taking smart risks despite ambiguity
- Love for and experience designing puzzle games
- Educational achievement in gameplay design, human-computer interaction, interface design, or related
- Technical programming skills to complement design skills
- Experience developing for virtual reality