Remote | United States | Operations | Full-time
At Luna, our mission is to make quality, affordable vision care accessible for all.
Our diverse team is working to advance the vision industry with an ever-growing collection of innovative solutions designed to address the toughest challenges facing eyewear businesses and doctors. We offer suites of products and services that improve and increase vision prescription access, streamline online shopping with virtual try-on and facial measurements, and support fulfillment and delivery.
We partner with forward-looking eyewear retailers and brands, as well as eye doctors and optical shops, to accelerate their digital transformation with end-to-end solutions that revolutionize vision experiences online, offline, and everywhere in-between. Our solutions are currently used by over 10 million users each month, all around the world.
The Tools Engineer will modify existing tools, build new tools, and provide support in a dynamic 3D asset production process with a focus on Blender. Their goal will be to optimize workflows and achieve more efficient throughput for our core tech and processes. They will collaborate with Product, Operations, and Engineering to ensure priority work is being done to bring the most impact to production.
What you’ll do:
- Architecture and Development of asset creation tools for Blender
- Working with Product and Operations to develop new asset creation tools to meet technical needs
- Assist with documentation to teach tool usage to contractor pool
- Technical Assistance to Visual Development Team
- Assist R&D on shader and material development by providing technical expertise on existing tools and possibility space for new development
- Technical Support for Contractor pool
- Provide expert knowledge on issues reported by contractors
- Maintain existing tools through bug fixing
- Excel at finding innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Desire to cultivate credible, reliable, and authentic interpersonal relationship, an
understanding that communication and uniqueness and critical to success
- 2+ years of experience developing pipeline scripts and tools, ideally in a 3D production
environment and ideally with Blender.
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and rendering concepts (such as
the representation of primitive objects, groups and hierarchies, schemas, layers and
- Experience working with node-based shaders in Blender.
- Experience scripting Python/PyQt plugins or extensions, ideally for Blender.
- Experience with one or more source code control systems (preferably Git/Github).
- Experience with Linux fundamentals required.
- Familiarity with commonly used file formats for meshes (glTF, GLB, USDZ), images and
textures, as well as asset libraries.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree, or the equivalent, in Computer Science or related.
o (Luna recognizes that knowledge and skills equivalent to those earned in a
degree program can also be achieved via nontraditional paths and welcomes
applicants with nontraditional training.)
We’re bright minds creating innovative solutions to real problems in the vision space. We are passionate people who bring big energy to big problems and aren’t afraid to do things differently or take a new approach to old challenges. We inspire and support each other in our mission to make quality, affordable vision care accessible for all.
Our diverse team includes engineers, eye doctors, entrepreneurs, creatives, and researchers who come together from all around the world to revolutionize the vision industry with smart, well-designed solutions. Our distributed workforce philosophy allows us to find the best fit for our roles based on talent, not on location.
Perks & company culture:
We offer all the perks you should expect from a great tech company: competitive salary, meaningful equity-upside, medical and dental insurance, unlimited PTO, and a 401(k) with a company match. We care a lot about doing the little things well and work hard to build a strong team culture. We organize online team events and activities to bring our remote teams together and find creative ways to build our culture with team members around the world.
Inclusion and listening are at the heart of our brand culture. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives and encourage everyone to be their authentic self at work. We welcome everyone regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics. We dedicate ourselves to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment. For these reasons and more, Luna is a proud equal employment opportunity employer.