Generalist Software Engineer (Engine/Platform/Tools - C++ and C#)
Our shared technology team are looking for people with a passion for core engine systems in a cross-platform environment.
As a generalist, you have a love for programming and software engineering across multiple platforms to make code easy to understand and maintain, well documented and portable. Through excellent software engineering principles, you can make your code work across multiple platforms and devices as well as projects and products that use our engine and frameworks.
You have a great eye for clean and well-designed code, and you can architect systems from ground up to meet all requirements.
You will be joining our dynamic shared technology team, reporting into the Technical Director, where you will be improving and maintaining existing core systems as well as adding new functionality across our engine and frameworks. You will also be ensuring optimal performance.
You have worked with multiple programming languages, but your main language are C++ and C#. You are up to date on the latest developments in the language and have experience with modern C++ and C#.
The work we do is fundamental for all our games as well as internal and external tools.
- Identify and fix issues in our engine code across several platforms on a variety of devices and operating systems.
- Improve and replace existing functionality across our code base.
- Re-engineer existing code to meet new and changing requirements.
- Implement new technologies.
- Own areas of engine code and maintain and support them across all supported platforms.
- Improve our tools, workflows and working practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong knowledge of modern C++ and C# languages.
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Minimum three years of professional experience with C++ and C#.
- Professional experience using the Unity engine.
- Experience with cross-platform development, working on code that is used across multiple platforms.
- Experience developing for iOS and Android is beneficial.
- Experience with writing and maintaining core engine systems that is used by other teams, projects and products.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, portable and well-documented code.
- Excellent understanding of performance and optimisation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team.
Sports Interactive (SI) is a multi-award-winning game development studio and the world’s leading developer of sports management simulations. Founded in 1994, SI became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006. Based at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London, the SI team continues to expand as it brings its titles to an ever-growing audience via an increasing variety of delivery platforms.
SI has enjoyed sustained commercial and critical success for its extremely detailed and immersive simulation experiences. Its games are amongst the highest-rated PC titles (according to Metacritic) and frequently occupy both the ‘top selling’ and ‘most played’ charts on Steam.
The Sports Interactive team is diverse and international, bringing together world class and high potential talent with a combined passion and drive for creating genre-defining games. Team members enjoy a flexible working schedule and a relaxed studio environment that encourages a close-knit, collaborative approach to game development.
SI is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI offers a generous benefits package to all full-time team members including gym membership, in-house massage therapy and private healthcare (including dental). The studio is also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boasts one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry with just over 30% of the current full-time team members having been at the studio for 10 years or longer. SI also has many longstanding partnerships with leading charities, local schools and major sporting organisations.
Further information on Sports Interactive, its games and life at the studio can be found at www.sigames.com.