Our shared technology team are looking for people with a passion for core engine systems in a cross-platform environment.
As a generalist, you have a love for programming and software engineering across multiple platforms to make code easy to understand and maintain, well documented and portable. Through excellent software engineering principles, you can make your code work across multiple platforms and devices as well as projects and products that use our engine and frameworks.
You have a great eye for clean and well-designed code, and you can architect systems from ground up to meet all requirements.
You will be joining our dynamic shared technology team, reporting into the Technical Director, where you will be improving and maintaining existing core systems as well as adding new functionality across our engine and frameworks. You will also be ensuring optimal performance.
You have worked with multiple programming languages, but your main language are C++ and C#. You are up to date on the latest developments in the language and have experience with modern C++ and C#.
The work we do is fundamental for all our games as well as internal and external tools.
- Identify and fix issues in our engine code across several platforms on a variety of devices and operating systems.
- Improve and replace existing functionality across our code base.
- Re-engineer existing code to meet new and changing requirements.
- Implement new technologies.
- Own areas of engine code and maintain and support them across all supported platforms.
- Improve our tools, workflows and working practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong knowledge of modern C++ and C# languages.
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Minimum three years of professional experience with C++ and C#.
- Professional experience using the Unity engine.
- Experience with cross-platform development, working on code that is used across multiple platforms.
- Experience developing for iOS and Android is beneficial.
- Experience with writing and maintaining core engine systems that is used by other teams, projects and products.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, portable and well-documented code.
- Excellent understanding of performance and optimisation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences.
And when you’re not here making the world’s best management games, there’s a top-class benefits package for permanent team members based in the UK, including gym membership, private health, and dental care, plus many more perks. For those permanent team members outside of the UK, we strive to offer equivalent and localised benefits. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.