Tax and Compliance Manager
BASED AT SEGA HQ IN BRENTFORD, WEST LONDON
A BIT ABOUT SEGA
SEGA is one of the leading interactive entertainment companies in the world, with our European HQ based in West London and our five development studios spanning the UK, Bulgaria, France and Canada. Known for quality and creativity above all else, our studios include Sports Interactive, Amplitude Studios, The Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment.
At the heart of SEGA is our publishing team based in London, where we help the studios bring their creative vision to life. Here we have a hardworking bunch of people spanning Tech, Sales, Marketing, Finance, QA and more.
Together, we drive the continued success and evolution of our Western business through living our company values of always collaborating, being entrepreneurial in spirit, having a winning mentality and focusing on uncompromising quality.
WORKING THE SEGA WAY
We believe that making the best games relies on having the best people, so we make sure that we look after ours…
- For our gaming buffs, you can get involved in our lunchtime gaming sessions in our games lounge, regular gaming tournaments and free SEGA games on Steam
- If you're more of a foodie, you can take advantage of Ice-cream Wednesdays or our fresh fruit and cereal every single day
- Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership, ride to work scheme, workout area and bootcamps in the park. You can find your zen with weekly yoga classes as well as in-house massage therapy
- You'll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme. We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making SEGA the best it can be
- We hold regular lunch & learn sessions, company updates at the world-famous BAFTA theatre in Central London and Summer and Christmas parties that you’ll want to brag to your mates about! What’s not to love?
- We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to ensure that you have a life outside of the office
- We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Check out our Careers website to find out why we are a workplace you’ll never want to leave!
As a Tax & Compliance Manager, you will be reporting to the UK Finance Director, supporting the wider finance function, and businessThis is a newly created role which will be pivotal in shaping our European distribution model for physical goods. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of European VAT and cross border movements. You will provide pragmatic advice to the wider business on our reporting requirements and identify opportunities to reduce costs whilst ensuring indirect taxes are properly managed throughout the supply chain.
The main focus of this role two-fold;
- As a senior member the Finance team you will be responsible for day-to-day management of VAT compliance for all the UK entities, including UK and foreign VAT registrations and any associated regulatory reporting requirements including EC Sales Reporting and Intrastat. Going forward, build up a general overview of indirect taxes including PAYE Settlement Agreement and Withholding Tax filings
- Help establish a ‘rules-based’ approach within our ERP system; Oracle to capturing and reporting physical movement of products and thus strengthening the ‘Procure-to-Pay’ (P2P) process. Review Distribution Contracts Look objectively at existing processes and rules around physical movement. Focus should be on the internal control environment. Explore opportunities to build B2B interfaces, reducing the risk of manual override, whilst streamlining existing processes
Duties will include:
- Responsible for VAT compliance across UK and overseas jurisdictions including Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, and Australia. Ensure that all compliance deadlines are met including VAT returns, payments, EC Sales listing, and Intrastat filings
- Review and establish a ‘rules-based’ approach within our ERP system for UK, European, ROW movements to ensure the appropriate VAT rules are being correctly applied for all purchases and sales
- Ensure that processes are in place to ensure that all VAT requirements are being met at a processing level, working with all Finance and operations teams and be first point of call for any queries, ensuring new vendors and distributors are onboarded correctly with regards to their VAT treatment
- Review, engage and manage a third-party VAT recovery specialist for Concur and business expenditure
- Manage the Business and Travel Policy to ensure expenditure is correctly categorised, ensuring adherence to HMRC guidelines
- Provide training/ workshops for department heads to ensure ‘best practice’ adopted for all Business and Travel expenditure
- Managing PAYE Settlement Agreement returns across the organisation, ensuring that all deadlines are met regarding filing, compliance, and payments
- Managing Withholding Tax obligations across the organisation, ensuring that all deadlines are met regarding filing, compliance, and payments
- Support VP, Finance with SAO documentation and processes, including maintaining a tax risk register and ensuring all controls operate effectively
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- An experienced Tax & Compliance Manager, with the ability to deliver accurately & within tight deadlines
- Technically competent in tax processes, with the ability to introduce best practices within operations and finance
- Good working knowledge of European VAT statutory reporting requirements
- A Qualified Accountant is essential with previous ERP & BI Systems preferred
- Experience in a multi - currency environment