Job Type: Permanent
Project: Mobile Games
Our client is a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Their mission is to build the automotive gaming experiences that people want on mobile. Their games have been played by over 300 million people, with new titles in development.
They are looking for an experienced Technical Artist to join the team in Central London. They believe in small autonomous teams that have a lot of freedom and responsibility. As such, their Tech Artists are true generalists. Having the opportunity to write shaders, develop tools, work on some particle effects or even animation. Working on mobile free to play titles means that they never know what is on the horizon, new events and features bring with it exciting opportunities to try new things and work across lots of different areas.
A Tech Artist should be someone who is adaptable and willing to work on a wide variety of challenges. They are happy to hire someone who needs to brush up in a few areas but is keen to help as the bridge between the artists and coders, being able to work iteratively in the mobile constraints and being up for the challenge of working on a variety of tasks is going to be key for the role.
They pride themselves on a friendly and caring culture. The role requires collaborating closely with all members of the team and the ideal candidate will be comfortable facilitating conversations across disciplines.
- Previous experience as a Technical Artist within the games industry
- Prior experience working on mobile titles
- Experience using Unity in a professional capacity with a strong understanding of how to get the most out of the engine for mobile platforms
- Experience creating custom shaders
- Experience with scripting
- Experience with 3D packages, preferably Maya
- Experience with Photoshop
- Although the roles are quite generalist in nature, if you have worked as a Technical Artist within games, please apply, they are quite open to the level of experience for this role
- Experience creating performant particle effects for mobile platforms, preferably in Unity.
- Environment animation skills – UI and character animation/rigging skills desirable but not essential.
- Strong C# script writing skills
- Experience creating custom editor tools
- This is a varied role that could cover lots of different areas, below are some examples of tasks you might encounter:
- Creating performant new technologies to realise the vision of the Art Director and to satisfy the requirements of the project – these technologies are varied and often require calling on a combination of skills.
- Experience creating shaders for a wide variety of applications
- Creating a variety of performant particle effects for both environment and UI applications.
- Creating and/or implementing environment, UI and character animations.
- Be responsible for the performance of the game, including frame-rate, memory usage, boot time and binary size, and advise the team on the best way to build optimal assets.
- Creating Unity editor tools to improve the workflow for the art team.
- Maintaining a holistic understanding of all aspects of the technical art for a project, including the render pipeline, asset loading/unloading, UI structure and flow, etc.
Interested in finding out more about the studio and project? Apply now or call us directly today on +44 (0) 1206 214425!