Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We're the largest full-service education and entertainment game development company in the United States. Since 2002, we've worked with world-class clients and partners to create interactive experiences that engage and inspire players of all ages across all platforms. Presently, we are focused on virtual reality, augmented reality, location-based experiences, and social games.
Do you like to work on innovative projects in a motivating, friendly atmosphere? Would you agree that games can engage and inspire?
If you answered "YES!" to both questions, you might be a fit for our studio!
TECHNICAL ARTIST - RIGGER
We are seeking a flexible and talented Technical Artist that excels at working with team members to create rigs that meet both animation and development needs for our diverse range of products. Candidates should be able to use existing tools to create bipedal rigs as well as be able to create custom rigs by hand for unique characters. Candidates will help to develop and maintain the character rigging and animation pipelines, as well as assist teams with other technical challenges in implementation and game development. This applicant should display a deep understanding of rigging, possess a passion for learning and problem-solving, as well as demonstrate a creative and flexible approach to various systems and platforms. Applicants may be asked to complete an art test.
Our ideal candidate will have the ability to handle both technical and artistic issues as well as the ability to work in a team environment while meeting schedules and milestones.
Expectations of Game level roles at Schell Games:
Your craft knowledge allows you to immediately contribute to your teams. You are curious and eager to learn.
You clearly communicate with your colleagues and are open to feedback on how to improve.
You show a commitment to grow and the potential to excel in your development responsibilities.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Focus: Creating rigs and skinning 3D characters for game-play animations
- Assisting animators and engineers debug issues related to characters in-game
- Work with artists and engineers to support existing pipelines as well as adding features and/or improvements
- Other flexible responsibilities: Help define the technical standards of the game experience, guiding the development of art pipelines between our team and clients
- Provides input on the technical methods to achieve the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Unity or Unreal engine experience
- Familiarity with python
- Familiarity with artist tools creation and maintenance
- Animation experience
- At least 3 (preferably 4+) years of experience in interactive game development as a technical artist or rigger
- Functional knowledge of rigging for Unreal or Unity
- Joint based rigging and skinning in Maya
- BS/BA/BFA degree in graphic design, fine arts, animation, visual communication, CS, or similar preferred
Our studio is committed to providing an equitable and inclusive work environment that ensures that all applicants and team members are treated with dignity and respect. We will not tolerate any type of discrimination or harassment directed at any applicant or employee because of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, veteran, family or parental status or any other protected group characteristic. This equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Prohibiting discrimination and harassment is only one part of the equation. “Diversity makes us strong” is more than just something we say. We value diversity in all forms because it is essential to our success, and we want every member of our team to feel their best creative self. Our development environment and social culture are based on welcoming, respecting, and celebrating differences among our team members and our players. We rely on each person to add their own unique skills and perspective to our culture. Every member of our team is responsible for making the studio as inclusive and equitable as possible.
Return to the studio's home page.
The candidate selected for this position will be subject to standard employment verification and criminal background check upon offer of contingent employment.