Are you an experienced Technical Director who enjoys collaborating, mentoring, and empowering those around you? Are you looking for your next challenge? As the Technical Director of the Core Technology Teams, you’ll be driving the development of the shared core technology solutions that support RuneScape and OldSchool RuneScape. You will shape the technical strategy and roadmaps, enabling seamless collaboration across projects and teams as well as fostering efficiency and excellence in the game release pipeline. Collaboration will be the heartbeat of your role, you’ll be working closely with game EPs and Technical Directors. You’ll also actively seek opportunities to gather feedback and identify technological needs from different games. You’ll be leading the: Quality Engineering and Automation, Game Infrastructure, and Core Game Services teams, to create robust and scalable technologies supporting game projects. Your responsibility is to empower and nurture a high-performing team of engineers. We want you to foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and continuous learning. Your coaching and mentorship will encourage professional growth, promoting individual and team excellence.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide strategic leadership to the technical teams, setting clear objectives.
- Lead the growth and development of the technical teams by attracting top talent, coaching team members, and creating opportunities for skill enhancement.
- Act as the Product Owner for technology and infrastructure lead projects.
- Oversee the design, development, and implementation of technical projects, ensuring they are delivered on time and within budget.
- Collaborate with other departments to align technical strategies with studio goals and objectives.
- Nurture a high-performing and motivated team environment, encouraging professional growth and a strong sense of ownership among team members.
- Stay up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies, making recommendations for their integration to enhance company products and services.
- Lead recruitment efforts to attract, develop, and retain top technical talent.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders, including Executive Producers and Technical Directors across the studio.
What we’re looking for:
- Proven experience in leadership, successfully growing and building high-performing teams.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to align technical strategies with overall business objectives.
- Experience as a T-shaped leader working across product, production, and engineering disciplines, fostering a cohesive and integrated approach to development.
- Solid understanding of the game development lifecycle, including game services.
- Extensive experience in Quality Engineering practices specific to game development, including test automation, performance testing, and continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD).
- Proficiency in platform operations and infrastructure management, including cloud technologies tailored for game development needs, scalability, and reliability.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working- Bonus Scheme- Private Health Care - Gym Membership- Monthly Energy Allowance- Generous Pension Contributions- Life Insurance- Free Cycle Repair- Income Protection- Dental Plan- Free Fruit and Drinks- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application! Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.