Our world-class MOCAP Department is seeking a Trainee Motion Capture Technician to join our new MoCap Studio based in Burgess Hill, West Sussex. Our studio currently boasts an impressive 150 m2 volume with 48 optical Vicon cameras. (There may be some instances for the need to travel to Horsham, West Sussex, to visit our main studios based there.)
Creative Assembly is responsible for making a number of AAA game titles, and the Motion Capture Department services all in-house and external Sega project requirements on a supplier/client basis.
Working directly with the animation teams, communication, and an understanding of their requirements, is a key element to ensure the process runs as effectively and smoothly as possible. It is crucial that the delivered data is of an outstanding quality and is turned around in good time.
We are looking for a candidate that can display an understanding of the physics of human motion, with a keen eye for detail, and a good grounding in technical knowledge related to the subject matter. A personable attitude is required as you will be working closely with both internal staff and external talent.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Assist with camera set-up and calibration
- Prepare talent for capture – placing markers and capturing Range of Movements
- Aid in system operation and data capture
- Provide data clean-up to a high standard and export to required format for the client
- Assist in documentation of all Motion Capture related processes
- Be responsible for system upkeep and improvements including scripting and pipeline setup
- Create props and manage the storage and inventory of these
- Be responsible for Studio safety (First Aid and Fire Training will be given)
- Assist Motion Capture Manager in all assigned responsibilities
- Carry out any other general duties required
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of the Motion Capture Process with a desire to further develop the skills required to become proficient in the role
- Some experience capturing and processing Motion Capture Data would be an advantage
- Excellent attention to detail
- To have a respectful attitude and be very personable in order to deal with clients and suppliers on a face-to-face basis
- Confident to work both in front of and behind the cameras
- An understanding of scripting within a software package – ideally Python
- Experience with MotionBuilder, Maya, scripting and other 3D tools
NOTE: We are unable to offer remote working for this role.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
We house many talented people, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.