We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional. We make innovative games in a variety of genres with accessibility and depth to delight our audiences, no matter who they are. We believe in maintaining a creative, collaborative, and diverse team environment at our studio, and we are looking for passionate and capable people to join our team of experienced AAA console developers.
We are seeking a seasoned 2D/UI Artist who will support the visual design of the User Interface in addition to 2D assets which will be created for the in-game world. The 2D/UI Artist works with the Art Director and UI/UX team to create polished, visually engaging assets and uses in-house tools to implement and animate UI.
- Create high-quality UI visual components including - icons, logos, HUD elements, illustrations, etc.
- Create quality art in-game by following visual guidelines defined by the UI/UX team or Art Director.
- Work closely with the UI/UX Team and Art Director to ensure that a visually consistent and compelling user interface is implemented across products.
- Responsible for creating easy-to-read concepts and taking them through to final polished 2D assets.
- Create motion graphic transitions and visual elements that bring the design to life.
- Contribute to peer reviews, troubleshoot, problem solve, and give and receive constructive feedback.
- Develop interface mockups and wireframes in addition to assisting with establishing UI style guide for review and feedback from Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Producers.
- 5+ years of game industry experience on console, mobile, handheld and/or PC platforms preferred.
- Degree or equivalent experience in Digital Media Design, Game Design, Illustration, or related field is desired.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in UI.
- Strong portfolio of shipped games (mobile, console, PC) or other website or software products.
- Excellent conceptual, illustration, and graphic design skills.
- Demonstrate good use of typography, iconography, composition, color theory, and motion graphics.
- Understand flow, composition, and design as they relate to the user experience.
- High level of proficiency with Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Strong organizational skills with adherence to optimization and asset management.
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
- Experience in UX Design.
- Prior experience in a leadership or mentoring role.
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com. Be sure to reference the position you’re applying for in the subject line.
About Velan Studios:
Velan Studios’ mission is to create ground-breaking game experiences centered on new forms of play across both existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios is an independent studio comprised of a diverse team of seasoned developers who have worked at various AAA studios like Vicarious Visions, Naughty Dog, Harmonix, Nintendo, Avalanche Studios, Retro Studios and more. Velan Studios is based in Troy, NY.