Special Move is working with an ambitious and growing mobile game studio. Who have a 15 year legacy of making mobile games for some of the biggest brands on the planet and are now expanding into PC and console.
This year they are embarking on their most ambitious and exciting title yet, developing a brand new PC, console and mobile cross platform IP in partnership with a world renowned publisher. We are looking for passionate new people to join their team on their quest to forge a place in players' hearts.
Our client is building a brand new world-leading, cross-platform IP played by millions of gamers and we need a Zones & Dungeons Designer to join the team to help do this.
You will be collaborating closely with other disciplines to create a world the player wants to explore, full of delight and danger, majesty and mystery. You will be responsible for concepting, implementing and refining zone and dungeon layouts, focusing on theming, gameplay flow, and visual composition to create memorable experiences.
You will be flexible, highly motivated and approachable, and you will compose design documentation to a high standard. A core part of the design team and a huge part of this new product, you will have considerable responsibility and autonomy in the design and your tasks.
Here's what you will be doing:
- Work with the growing design team to build dramatic, distinctive, highly memorable zones & dungeons.
- Work closely with the World, Narrative, Combat & Quest designers to implement and polish amazing experiences in Zones and Dungeons that are thematically appropriate and players want to engage with.
- Create zone & dungeon flows that are interesting and intuitive, giving players a feeling of exploration without them feeling lost.
- Help to establish creative guidelines and metrics to define zone & dungeon layouts.
- Work closely with Art to define asset lists, asset placements and compositions that visually delight the player.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to create game content that delivers a rewarding and exciting experience for the player.
- Participate in required production related meetings and functions as needed. Attend and participate in zone & dungeon content-specific discussions with relevant stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Quest, Encounter, & Combat designers to continually monitor and balance challenge in zones and dungeons.
To do this job, you will need:
- Industry experience in a game design position.
- Proven experience with level design in at least one project.
- Excellent understanding of level design fundamentals and the role of level design in the overall player experience.
- Ability to create map layouts on all stages – from simple drawings to fully functional levels in at least one of the existing game engines.
- A strong ability to identify and solve problems throughout all stages of development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of one of the following game genres. Strategy, MMO, RPG.
- A genuine passion for games.
While not required, below are nice to have:
- Experience creating zones & dungeons for MMO games.
- Experience scripting in C# (Unity), or similar.
Special Move acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment